Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Now I'm a little puzzled on this. Last week lets say Wednesday I was at a gas station fueling up and well When I went to start my car, I heard a loud pop like a fire cracker going off, and then my car wouldn't start. So I opened the hood and all it was, was the Negative - Cable had come off the battery So I reattached it and all was fine. But now today I noticed there is a whitish grey crust on my drive way and I found that it was the battery leaking. I tested it with a voltage tester and it still puts out nominal amperage. Ok I live in the middle of nowhere, 50+ miles from any type of town/city... And I was just wondering, am I going to have to replace it? how long do you suppose it will last like this? And what do you suppose happened? I don't know a whole lot about cars so any reply would be Appreciated.

Thanks, Still Learnin.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Buy a battery while you have a choice.
If a battery case is cracked, it'll leak until it's empty, or the acid level is down below the crack. The voltage will remain constant, but the current capacity will drop to darn near zero. The leaking battery acid will corrode the metal parts of the car (or your own) body that it touches, creating a lovely brown lace.
When you remove the battery (or have it removed) wash the area with Bicarbonate of Soda (Arm & Hammer, or...) to neutralize the acid. You'll see foam appear where there was acid.

I'm not kidding...

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Sablewagon said it perfectly.

If you wait on the battery it will decide to leave you stranded at the worst possible time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts