Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having a problem with the battery going dead while cleaning the interior of the car? Twice now, after washing the car and moving it back into the garage to clean the inside, the battery drops off to about 5 volts after about 2 hours. It is a Motorcraft battery bought new 7/19. Charge the system up and all seems fine. Something just seems off.

·
Registered
2013 Taurus Limited
155 Posts
Unless you have something running (mine for instance was a wacky dashcam) I've no idea but I'd replace it pronto before your warranty runs out in a month cause it seems like it has a serious trouble holding the charge.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If your battery is going from 12+ volts down to 5 volts in as little as 2 hours there is something wrong with that battery. A battery with a voltage of 5 volts is shot and dead, even if it charges, going this low damages the battery permanently.

How to test your battery

Using a Multimeter to Test a Car Battery

1. Turn the headlights on for two minutes to get rid of any surface charge the battery may have.
  2. Set the multimeter to 15-20 volts.
  3. Turn the lights off.
  4. Connect the multimeter to the positive and negative battery terminals.
  5. If you don’t have a voltage of around 12.6 volts, you may have a bad battery.
  6. Now start the car, and look for a revised voltage over 10.
  7. If your voltage drops below 5 when the car is running, it is bad and should be replaced right away.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your battery is going from 12+ volts down to 5 volts in as little as 2 hours there is something wrong with that battery. A battery with a voltage of 5 volts is shot and dead, even if it charges, going this low damages the battery permanently.

How to test your battery
I tested it with a volt meter, it tested good. Not having faith in the battery, I took it to Ford and they tested it with a better meter and it tested bad. They honored the warranty and I drove away happy, until the next time the battery dies, which I hope is a long time from now. This is the second Motorcraft battery I have had to replace (under warranty) in the last 8 or so years. It is also the third battery in this 2017 Taurus. I am starting to lose faith in Motorcraft batteries.

·
Registered
2013 SEL
447 Posts
There are very few battery manufacturers. If you abandoned motorcraft for another brand, you're probably getting the same thing. Batteries are a real dice role. The fact that motorcraft honors warranties might make them the better bet.

If you do buy a battery, look at the date of manufacturer and try to keep it under a month. You don't want a battery that's been sitting for a long time. Last time I bought a battery, they let me pick. Found one that was only four days old!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Kind of unrelated but the battery in my 2013 went bad in well less then 2 years. AutoZone brand, same thing happened with my brothers F-150, less then a year. Just a friendly reminder not to buy AutoZone brand, my O'Rileys brand lasted over 5+ years in my old Ranger (Sold it at that point but it still worked 100% of the time) Sure there aren't a lot of actual battery manufacturers but those two are definitely different.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Kind of unrelated but the battery in my 2013 went bad in well less then 2 years. AutoZone brand, same thing happened with my brothers F-150, less then a year. Just a friendly reminder not to buy AutoZone brand, my O'Rileys brand lasted over 5+ years in my old Ranger (Sold it at that point but it still worked 100% of the time) Sure there aren't a lot of actual battery manufacturers but those two are definitely different.
Shopping for a battery recently i noticed that most warranties have been reduced down to 2 or 3years from what used to be 5. They are making them lighter with thinner plates set closer together, and on top of that many cars (and owners) draw more than ever even when "off" aiding in the earlier demise.

·
Registered
2013 SEL
447 Posts
Shopping for a battery recently i noticed that most warranties have been reduced down to 2 or 3years from what used to be 5. They are making them lighter with thinner plates set closer together, and on top of that many cars (and owners) draw more than ever even when "off" aiding in the earlier demise.
Was at the dealer for something unrelated on Tuesday and noticed the same thing. Motorcraft warranty dropped to 2 or 3 years, depending on the battery. That combined with increasing battery prices is saddening. Batteries should run 6-10 years.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it's pretty much called inflation, caused by various reasons.
I recall reading something similar happened with ice cream, where they went from half a gallon to something like 56 ounce containers, to sort of hide the price increase.
Also, I thought NAPA carried all USA made East Penn batteries, but I went there and found the battery I wanted was not east penn, and was made in Turkey, so I did not buy it.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
A battery has a life. It is not precise but it is predictable. Depends on the definition of end of life. Walmart does not make 36-R in the MAXX. I use the MAXX in my Buick and have in past Lincolns.
I replace regular Walmart at 3 years, and MAXX at 4 years. I have measured "reserve capacity" and such is in my att. 3 batteries. All Walmart 36-R as I have had/have 5 G-4's alone and keep 3 on the road now. I do not plan to have the call from my daughter or grandson that the car is dead on some cold morning. Maybe I am paranoid but: I have not had a warranty for many, many years.
My Buick Lucerne likely had a 9 year old OE that I replaced but no way to be 100% but no date code means factory. It was not my "have to go" car and spent lot of time garaged and not driven due to house fire. Caused me to fall back to my '03 wagon to haul and do daily house/contractor issues. Moving too. Buick cranked slow but did start. New MAXX and it cranks much better than I remember in 3 years I have owned it. Enemy of life is: heat, vibration, over/under charge. It has the battery under the rear seat so much of heat and vibration are gone. It monitors the use and adjust charging based on current monitor, hall effect device. Sealed and vent hose down to outside so cables look like new at 10 years old. Bat cost ~1.5X regular battery.
Reason I am concerned about reserve capacity, is, what happens if the charging system fails and I am hour or hours from home. How long I can last on the battery depends on what it has. My last road fail, Lin Cont 47K miles 4.5 hours from home. $530 and a night in a motel. Battery took me 45 minutes to an exit with a motel. Next time the Alt failed, I was 2 miles from home. Replaced the regulator with a JY part.
Just my take.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts