Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have been a member of this forum for about 6 months now every since I got my '99 Taurus SE, 3.0 Duratec. I have been following many of these posts for a while and these forums have been very helpful and informative. But I have yet to find a problem like mine. Perhaps someone may be able to help. Thank you!

Please bare with me. I tried to make my problem as detailed as possible. Thank you.

Situation:

-Bought Autozone Fog light kit.

-Installed fog lights: wired GRND to GRND, and wired the POSITIVE(+) to a 30a Windshield Wiper fuse <---Note this.

-Replaced the fog light bulb with LED bulbs.

-Couple weeks later, I notice one fog light is out. Check wiring, sure enough one fog light has bad GRND.

-Fix the bad GRND, and repalce the LED lights with the Sylvania 55w bulbs, (plain ole' bulbs, not xtravision or silverstar).

-While I was fixing the bad GRND and replacing the LED bulbs with the Sylvannia 55w bulbs, I left the key in the ON position with the fog lights on. (Yes, VERY stupid move).

-Sure enough I had drained the battery. I say, "No biggie", and I begin to jump the battery with my other vehicle.

-As the two vehicles are connected, I go to start the Taurus. Right when I turn the key to ON, the Windshield Wipers come on. They go up, and come down, nothing more, nothing less. (Remember, this is the fuse that I tapped into for the fog lights).

-I think, hmmm, no biggie. And I let the battery charge back up, then turn off the vehicle.

-The next day I go to start the Taurus...

-I turn the key to ON, and bam - Wipers come on. They go up, then they go down. Nothing more, nothing less. On top of that, the battery has drained to the point where it can't turn over the engine. The dash lights/interior lights are dim.

-So, I remove the ENTIRE fog light kit; wires, mounts, the whole 9 yards.

-I take the battery to Autozone to test it: Battery Passes test.

-Install battery in Taurus, turn key to ON, and this time the Windshield Wipers DO NOT come on. Car starts normally.

-I drive the car normally for a day. During that day, everytime I turn the key to ON, everything is normal, Windshield Wipers DO NOT come on, everything seems fine.

-End of the day, I let the car sit over night...

-The next morning, I go turn the key to ON, and bam - Windshield Wipers come on. They go up, they go down, nothing more, nothing less. On top of that, the battery has drained to the point where it can't turn over the engine.

What have I done to try to fix it?
-Searched the forums, couldn't find something I could relate to.
-Checked for current draw with multimeter - no current draw.
-I checked the voltage at the Windshield wiper fuse: 0.03v

-Voltage @ battery, engine off = 12.8
-Voltage @ battery, engine on = 13.8 / 13.9

Whew, my wrists are hurting, lol. Well that about sums it up. Thanks for your guys' help, if there is anymore info you guys need please let me know. Thank you!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.