Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Ford taurus andthe battery discharges if I leave my 1998 Taurus park for more than 16 hours. The battery does not drain completely but the car would not start. Over the week-end I disconnected the negative battery wire from the battery and connected a multimeter between the negative battery wire and the negative battery post. It read 451 miliamps. I proceded to pull every fuse and every relay, checking the current after each one ( A painfull task!). I did not find any drop in current after pulling every fuse. However when I pulled the Battery saving Relay (#34) the current dropped from 451 miliamps to 290 miliamps. Pulling every other relay did not caused the current to drop. I decided to leave the battery saving relay out. (By the way, before I tried this, I had already disabled the dome light and the trunk light; also I made sure that the glove compartment light was turning off when I close the glove compartment door.

I bought a quick disconnect switch for my battery and I disconect the battery every time I park the car for longer than 12 hours. If I do this the battery stays charged.

I am concerned about keeping the battery saver relay out all the time. Is there any problems I could encounter by having the battery saving relay out? What exactly does the battery relay switch do.

Why is the current measures 291 amps even with the battery savings relay out? it should read less than 60 miliamps, as I read in this thread.

How can the battery saving relay be causing my problem? It is ironic since the battery saver relay, by definition, is supposed to protect the battery and not drain it?

Any help and or suggestions from anyone will be appreciated.

Thanks,

barbaro1.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
1/2 amp draw shouldnt kill the battery that quickly. I would charge the battery for 24hrs and have it load tested checked for cca output. I would also look at the output from the alt.
if this car isnt being driven and when it is, only going for short trips this will kill a battery. You might want to invest into a float charger to prolong the life of the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the mercury switch in your trunk. The 2003 I recently purchased from my folks caused them the same issue until my mechanic uncle figured out the the faulty mercury swutch in the trunk( turns on the trunk light when open) was keeping the trunk light on at all times. If thats your issue you can replace or for a quick fix disconnect.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Have you tried replacing the battery saver relay? I haven't priced them personally, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be too costly to try out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your response. I recently replaced the battery and had the alternator checked and it was charging normally. it is true that i only use the car to drive 5 miles back and forth from home to a park&ride lot where I take the Bus to work. What is a float charger and how much money does it cost?

Also, I took the light bulb out of the socket in the trunk.

On the batterysaving relay, I did replace it, but even wth the replaced relay, the battery drain is 451 miliamps (0.45 Amps). Only wheni remove it the battery drain goes down to 290 miliamps (0.29 amps). The replacement relay cost me $12.00.

I opted to keep the relay out completely, so i am driving the car without a battery saving relay.

Can anyone tell me if what does the battery saving relay do besides turn off the lights if I forget to turn them off??

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
a float charger is a battery maintainer. cost between $19-$45 depending on what you get. just make sure its an automatic float charger so you will not over charge your battery, I would also make sure it has the option to attach a set of wires on the battery permently or if you have a garage a cig lighter plug in option. the clamp on option is just a pain

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
p.s only driving you car for short trips is not a good thing. i would make a habit of driving it on a weekend for about 30 miles at a time, if you do not want to add the miles then let it idle for 30 mins and rev the engine to around 2000 - 2500 rpms every once in a while for short periods of time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's about all. Lights, power windows, and perhaps the radio. Is anything stuck in it?

Thanks, I took my car to a mechanic who charge me $150.00 to tell me that my problem was the radio unit. I got a used radio unit from the internet and replaced it in my Taurus and the problem was solved. Now when I hook-up my multimeter I only read ~ 50 miliams, which is OK.

If anyone is having problems with battery drain and can not easily find the problem I suggest taking out the radio unit (Easy 1 minute job) and disconect every cable from the back of the unit unit and then check the miliamps to see if that is the problem.

Thanks you all for your comments.:)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Still not a bad idea to purchase a BatteryMinder. Personally I have couple of these and would live without out one. BatteryMinder.com

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you for your response. I recently replaced the battery and had the alternator checked and it was charging normally. it is true that i only use the car to drive 5 miles back and forth from home to a park&ride lot where I take the Bus to work. What is a float charger and how much money does it cost?

On the batterysaving relay, I did replace it, but even wth the replaced relay, the battery drain is 451 miliamps (0.45 Amps). Only wheni remove it the battery drain goes down to 290 miliamps (0.29 amps). The replacement relay cost me $12.00.

I opted to keep the relay out completely, so i am driving the car without a battery saving relay.

Can anyone tell me if what does the battery saving relay do besides turn off the lights if I forget to turn them off??
I'd like to know where this battery saving relay is located. How long does it take to turn off lights?

·
Registered
35 Posts

Where is this illusive battery saving relay. I have a constant 1.3 amp drain on my battery

1 - 16 of 16 Posts