Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery is losing voltage, a dc clip-on shows approx 200 to 300 ma continuous drain with doors closed and key/lights off. Battery will take a charge, either from a charger or from the car running, and will hold a charge if the battery is disconnected from the car.
Load test on charged battery says it is "ok".

Does anyone know what cct is a probable culprit?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just spent some time with some better instruments, the underhood junction box/fuse box only has 160 ma on fuse number 3 (60 amp, one of two 60 amp fuses labeled as going to the fuse junction panel), this was the only one under the hood with current going through it.
So I pulled the ground off the battery and put an accurate ammeter in series with it, it showed 3.5 amps (key off, gem timed out, lights all off, etc).
I don't have a schematic, but I suspect the alternator is before the big maxi-fuse, if a bridge or rectifier assy in the alternator is going/gone bad, could this manifest itself as a 3.5 amp drain?

I have not checked for drain on any of the fuses in the panel under the dash, as I'm guessing they are after the underhood fuse panel.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
I just spent some time with some better instruments, the underhood junction box/fuse box only has 160 ma on fuse number 3 (60 amp, one of two 60 amp fuses labeled as going to the fuse junction panel), this was the only one under the hood with current going through it.
So I pulled the ground off the battery and put an accurate ammeter in series with it, it showed 3.5 amps (key off, gem timed out, lights all off, etc).
I don't have a schematic, but I suspect the alternator is before the big maxi-fuse, if a bridge or rectifier assy in the alternator is going/gone bad, could this manifest itself as a 3.5 amp drain?

I have not checked for drain on any of the fuses in the panel under the dash, as I'm guessing they are after the underhood fuse panel.
Easy to check for Alt drawing current. Just remove the cable at the maga fuse. Doubt it is the case, if a diode is leaking it will usually short and the lead burns off. Then you have alt elect noise.

-chart-

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok, i misinformed my self, and you guys.
The delayed lights weren't off when i checked.
Minimum drain dropped to 200ma, still more than it should be?
When i pulled tbe interior fuse ffeeding the GEM, (fuse number 16, feeds GEM, flasher, ICP power, RCC memory and Cluster), the interior lights all go out and drain drops to zero.

Completely possible my battery isn't working correctly, I tested my load tester and the switch that turns on the resistance elements wasn't working. :(
I'll check with a new load tester tomorrow.

However, can anyone tell me what the typical drain would be, 200 ma still seems high.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So if i pull the panels off the left rear fender area, and unhook the radio module then the current will likely drop?
Or is this something in the "head unit"?

·
Administrator
14,926 Posts
The head, as in the tape player part of the ICP (Integrated Control Panel). It may 'think' there is a tape trying to eject. Fairly common issue with Gen 3's but see it in 4's from time to time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the meantime, I'll be tapping into the #16 fuse circuit, and bringing the circuit "out" to a fused pigtail and a switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts