Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 3.0. It starts fine after it's been sitting overnight, but when I try to re-start it after it's been driven for half an hour or so, the battery doesn't have enough left in in to turn it over. The battery is new, and good - in fact, it re-builds enough charge after it's been drained to start the engine again, if I let it sit for a few hours. So, it seems like when the car is running, it's maybe running off the battery. Any ideas what could be causing this??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Maybe there's a problem with the alternator. When the alternator went bad in my car, the car was fine while it was running, but the battery didn't hold a charge when I shut it off. After I had the alternators changed, I had the old one tested and found that a diode had gone bad in it, so it would pull back the power it sent to the battery when I shut the car off.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
Put a volt meter on the battery.

Watch it to see if it is draining the battery

Pull fuses one at a time until the battery quits draining.

Then you can track down the short on that circuit.

The alternator doesn't have a fuse. Disconnect the power wire to see if it stops draining


Mike
B)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
time to find yourself an ammeter and start checking the current drops in the system, not hard to do. There was a thread about it not too long ago where I explained all the little details...try searching for it(my puters acting up and I can't)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, the problem is solved, and it was a strange one. First, I knew it couldn't be an accessory causing the problem, since it was happening when the car was running and there should have been enough juice to handle anything. Tested the alternator - is fine at 14.2. Voltage regulator is good. Finally broke down and took it to the local garage. They found it right away.

Every time I've needed a new battery, I've gotten the cheapest one I could find and slapped it in there, being very careful with the cables, because you know how brittle they get as they age. Well, as it turned out, after 12 years, they had developed enough resistance to prevent a flow of juice and the battery had virtually no ground. Problem solved, but it's one I never would have suspected.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top