Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am helping a lady with a 97 Taurus GL. The battery apparently has a short that shows a current drain of 0.35 amps when car is off. I monitored this for more than 10 minutes after turning off the car and it didn't go down. I checked fuses in engine compartment, removed each one at a time and found the short went away when I removed the 40 amp JCT BLK fuse (I think that is fuse #1). Does this fuse control the power to the other fuses in the under dash fuse box? I found some info that maybe said that, but I'm not sure. If so, I will go there and start removing fuses to try to isolate the short.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Super Moderator
7,923 Posts
This has been discussed here many many times. Do a search.

10 minutes after putting in the amp meter is not enough time for all the modules to go to sleep. Doors must be closed or latches tripped so the GEM/SJB thinks they are closed for 30 to 40 minutes before measuring current drain. .

·
Administrator
15,010 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot for the info. The reason I waited 10 minutes is because I called the local Ford dealer service center and the man I talked to said on the older cars, like my '97, it should only take a short time, probably less than a minute, for the system to shut down. Are you saying that even on the '97 Taurus, I should wait 45-60 minutes to see if the current drops down to <50 ma ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I hope to check it this week. Will let you know how it goes.
Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
make sure there is not a cassette jammed in the radio.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
^+1, I like that idea, also have a look for a courtesy light that's not turning off, like a glove box, under hood, trunk light, make-up mirror light, a aftermarket electrical add-on, or something plugged into a power outlet.
Ask if the problem came about slowly over time, or suddenly after some event. More thoughts for consideration. Will be interesting to hear whats found, so keep us posted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for the info. The reason I waited 10 minutes is because I called the local Ford dealer service center and the man I talked to said on the older cars, like my '97, it should only take a short time, probably less than a minute, for the system to shut down. Are you saying that even on the '97 Taurus, I should wait 45-60 minutes to see if the current drops down to <50 ma ?
I checked it again, and after about 20-30 minutes the drain did go down to about 30 ma, so it looks good. Thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Good find & feedback & to hear all seems to be timing out & going to sleep ok & the parasitic battery drain seems to be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts