Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as much of a car stereo freak that I am. I still have a cheapo regular car battery under the hood.

What is getting annoying, is the corrosion that forms on the terminals. I swear, I clean them every three months is not more often, as there is a massive amount of crud that build up on the entire metal connector (plain lead connector, with steel hold down)

What causes this? Is it the differences in the metals? Is it a leaking battery? Seriously, its getting annoying, and not to mention, it looks nasty. I think i put some dielectric grease on the terminals last time i replaced them. It didn't last long..

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
It's caused by the fumes coming out of the battery and reacting with the surrounding metal. It sometimes gets bad when there is a small crack near the post. The only thing I found that works is vaseline.

Reactions: jobales

·
Registered
166 Posts
The dealer sprayed some sort of spray on my battery that makes the terminals purple. Its working well so far.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well today I Was going to get the battery load tested since it is about four years old, and it was a cheapo.

I go to take the negative terminal off, and its wiggling alot; i was able to wiggle it right off; and to further that problem, the post was still loose. Upon trying to remove the positive one, I discovered it too, to be very loose (the post that is) time for a new battery .

·
Registered
283 Posts
that looseness will cause corrosion aswell. not a good contact with the terminals. battery being that old will prolly need to be replaced and i would get news wires or terminals at least. get them nice and snug, not to tight, on the terminals to make a good connection. if u go to tight u run the risk of breaking the terminal.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
FWIW, something else that works really well for cleaning off the corrosion is baking soda dissolved in water. Use a couple tablespoons and add it to a glass of warm water, then pour a bit on the corrosion and watch it start to bubble up and come off. I keep baking soda at the shop specifically for cleaning battery terminals. I'll wire brush the worse of it off, use a terminal cleaner to clean the inside of the terminals and the outside of the posts, then use the baking soda to bubble off anything that's left. Just rinse it with clean water when you're done.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
So the post is loose? Not the cable end? If the post wiggles on the battery, time for a new one, that is the cause of your corrosion buildup. Get a new battery, and rub some grease on the terminals, or at work I use disc brake quiet spray, sticks, and stays.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So, as much of a car stereo freak that I am. I still have a cheapo regular car battery under the hood.

What is getting annoying, is the corrosion that forms on the terminals. I swear, I clean them every three months is not more often, as there is a massive amount of crud that build up on the entire metal connector (plain lead connector, with steel hold down)

What causes this? Is it the differences in the metals? Is it a leaking battery? Seriously, its getting annoying, and not to mention, it looks nasty. I think i put some dielectric grease on the terminals last time i replaced them. It didn't last long..
[/b]
Use felt washers coated with vaseline under each terminal clamp. This is an old trick, it probably breaks the conducting path between terminals which is created on the surface by moisture and vented vapours from the battery. I use this and never had any corrosion on the posts or clamps.

Stan

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Best thing to clean off the battery top and post is sudsy ammonia. Just don't get it into the cells. And rinse with water.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I like SHOZ123's sudsy ammonia idea as a battery cleaner, as it won't leave deposits after it dries.

There is a commercial foaming aerosol spray cleaner & acid neturalzer & spray battery post dressing made by "NOCO" & available at WallyWorld thats good.

The foam comes out yellow & turns bright red if it comes in contact with H2SO4, so you can determine where there is acid that hasn't yet caused corrosion.

Their NCP-2 anti-corrosion spray coating is also a clear red color, so you can see when you've got all of the post & cable connector coated. It's also able to stay put & hold up to under hood high heat conditions. I've used their products & they do work.

I've also used spray white lithium grease to coat the battery post & cable clamp, as it's easy to see when all is coated & holds up to under hood heat. It also lubes the cable clamps screw threads & keeps them corosion free.

I'm sorta anal about my battery connections, so I wipe the top of the battery off at each gas fill up, when I pull the hood to check ALL the under hood fluids.

I even use a silver loaded lube called "Conduct-O-Lube" on the battery posts & inside the cable clamps, to improve conductivity between the two surfaces & prevent surface corrosion of the lead battery post, or cable clamp, if the tin plating is worn away. It's kinda expensive, but a little goes a loooooong way.

Very good in marine applications, so all of my bass boat battery & trolling motor connections get it too!!!!

A bunch more battery maintenance thoughts for consideration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts