Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I'm continuing this thread for loss of power from amp...But I was driving to class today, and for the last couple of a weeks my car has been running just fine...With the fuse to my amp pulled. But I recently put it back on for a meet with the guys here in Lubbock....And my dash didn't flicker or anything and it ran like it was a new car. Only 2 clicks on the starter and she cranked right up. But like I said was going to school...And still the same starts no lag or anything..Then I head to best buy, get out and my car doesn't have even enough power to run my dome light? WTF just happened to my car? I tried to jump it but no help...So I bought a optima battery, it runs now, but I'm still at a loss...Does anybody have any ideas of y this would happen?

going to go to mechanic tomorrow but just curious?

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Check to make sure that your battery terminals are tight and clean. I know that on my car when my negative cable was loose i would have to go out and press it down and then everything would come back on. However, judging by your previous thread, your battery was as good as toast when the guy tested it for you. I still think that your alternator is probabyl toast too.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I would say the alternator is not charging. The Optima will soon be dead too.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well got everything check out and turns out my neg might be loose...so I'm gonna find a different ground on my car and post it up to that instead....also does anybody know where I can get a new wire harness for my battery..cheap..and a little longer cause I have to stretch mine out to get it to hit the terminals...

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
You have to use the negative wires that are there, otherwise the car won't start, and your fan won't run. I think your alternator is probably burnt out. If you were boosting your car and then leaving it a dead batter (9.4volts) it would most certainly burnt out your alternator quick. When you buy a rebuilt alternator from an auto parts store there is even a warning about this happening.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Almost every auto parts store or stores with an automotive department have battery cables of various lengths. Easy fix.

J

·
0 Posts
I wasn't sure what he meant either, but I think he means jump starting??

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I mean if you weren't charging your battery, just jumping starting the car, then you'd be putting a good strain on the alternator. your alternator is probabyl toast.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
lemme get this st.
So if ur battery aint good (like not charging), and should not jump start the car till U get a new battery?

or do u mean
So if ur battery is completely dead, and should not jump start the car till U get a new battery?

so if ur battery is completely dead, then discoonect battery, charge it with jumper cables & another car, then start ur car?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
naw I only tried to jump it 1 time...and that was when it died...

but another question has anybody here done the big 3...what the guy from www.soundomain.com had done...because I can barly see my alternater much less put a wire on the positive post....and anybody has plz post pics...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts