Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I can get 2 gauge speaker wire will that work for relocating the battery? or is bettery cable different then speaker wire? I ordered the kit from summit, but since I just moved here I have to verify it from my home phone, which I can't do. So I am going to go to stereo one and pick up some wire and connections, and a fuse, If this works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I've never used speaker wire bigger than 10-gauge, even pushing over 2000 watts. By speaker wire, you mean power wire for an amp? In that case, yes, it will work fine. It will probably cost you more, but it will do the job the same, if not better (it's probably higher-quality.) You'll need at least 17ft of positive cable, depending on where you mount the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to see if I can go get some 2 gauge now. I have a 4 gauge negative welded to my trunk would 4 gauge be enough to ground it or should I use the 2gauge for that also? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
4 gauge is good. 2 gauge would be better. Seeing as how Ford used 6 gauge up front, 4 gauge should be fine for the ground, esp. since its only a few feet long. I would definitely lean toward 2 gauge for the positive though. The starter draws a continuous 60 amps or so (IIRC) when cranking and the initial spike when you first crank it is over 100 amps (although that's only for a split second.) Figure 60 amps over 17+ feet of cable... yeah, I'd go 2 gauge. :)

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I ended up getting 20 feet of 2 gauge eeek it was expensive. 5 dollars a foot, I got a fuse too, but they didn't have any ends. The fuse doesn't require ends, does the battery terminals work with 2 gauge or do I need new ones? What about fitting the 2 gauge into the fuse box up front? Easy or PIA? Well thanks for your help, I'm on lunch and I have a deadline today at 3pm so I'll post later this evening. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
114 Posts
if you are using properly shielded wire 6 guage should be plenty still for relocating your battery to the back, then you dont have to worry about anything. Going 4 guage would be better, but 2 guage is kinda overkill, you are not gonna draw enough amps to burn your 6 guage wire. Even over that kinda distance you will not have to worry about how much you are drawing. my boss used to build hot rods, and he usually just used 4 or 6 guage wire for the battery, and most of them were in the back. I asked him why he didnt use thicker wire, he said it never made a difference. And we are talking about 455s with HEI and supercoils and big starters to handle their high compression. Speaker wire should be fine for you if you want to use it, half of my setup for my undercar lights are done with speaker wire. There is no difference in the wire. There is next to no difference in the shielding. Go to your auto parts store though and you will see what the difference is. The price, speaker wire is pricier.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by Kermit@May 26 2004, 01:19 PM
Thank you, I ended up getting 20 feet of 2 gauge eeek it was expensive. 5 dollars a foot, ...
Ah! $5/ft ? Where did you buy it? That's outrageous, I've seen 2 gauge go for ~2.50/ft or cheaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts