Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last 3 days, I have been noticing that my trans is not shifting right. I would be driving, expecting it to shift and instead the motor turns for a few of seconds before it finally shifts. Its kind of like putting your car in neutral and hitting the gas. At a whole 82,000 miles, it looks like I will need it replaced or serviced. All fluids are good and I don't have any leaks.

I do have the BaseCare warranty until late 2005. The transmission is covered under that warranty. My question is, do I take it in now? The car still drives and the shift problem doesn't happen all the time. I has happened 4 times today and a few times the last 3 days. If the tech doesn't find anything, they hit me with a fee. Either that or I wait until it doesn't move anymore.

I have a 1997 with a Vulcan engine.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Jul 24 2004, 11:28 PM
Over the last 3 days, I have been noticing that my trans is not shifting right. I would be driving, expecting it to shift and instead the motor turns for a few of seconds before it finally shifts. Its kind of like putting your car in neutral and hitting the gas. At a whole 82,000 miles, it looks like I will need it replaced or serviced. All fluids are good and I don't have any leaks.

I do have the BaseCare warranty until late 2005. The transmission is covered under that warranty. My question is, do I take it in now? The car still drives and the shift problem doesn't happen all the time. I has happened 4 times today and a few times the last 3 days. If the tech doesn't find anything, they hit me with a fee. Either that or I wait until it doesn't move anymore.

I have a 1997 with a Vulcan engine.

Any suggestions?
I say keep driving it for a few more months till it becomes more prominent. I would bring it in september or october, right before the warranty runs out. If it is indeed slipping or worse, it should be pretty well Fu^&&*ked by then and they cant argue otherwise.

I have ESP on my car, bumper to bumper, until 75K or 2006, im hoping my tranny fails before then or not at all!

-Damon

G

·
:withstupid:

I'd wait a while longer until the problem is more prominent, and then take it in so it is at least on record, then if it blows up after warranty runs out they have a record on it and may/should cover it if they won't when you take it in. :)

I bought the PremiumCare, so I should be good 'til Dec. 2006 or 100k miles, whichever hits first. :)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lucky for me, my warrenty expires in October 2005, I am sure it will fail before then. If I can get a new tranny from the warrenty, that would be awsome.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Jul 25 2004, 08:51 AM
Lucky for me, my warrenty expires in October 2005, I am sure it will fail before then. If I can get a new tranny from the warrenty, that would be awsome.
I think you probably could, I mean afterall its covered. If it is indeed slipping and its prominent, they cant BS you in saying its something else (ie dirty fluid, neglecting maintenance, etc). They love to make excuses, their favorite is "do you maintain it regularly at a certified transmission shop?" They usually want to see receipts from a reputable shop. Unfortunately for us, most of us work on our cars ourselves, which is good enough for me, and should be good enough for any dealer or insurance plan.

Im wondering if I ever have any problems with my tranny before the warranty runs out, what they will try to say about maintenance. I have never once taken my car to the dealer for transmission service. Im sure they would try to use it as an excuse. :unsure:

-Damon

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the car at 57,000 miles and I have 82,000 now.. What kind of maintence would be done during that timeframe? I am going to take it back to the dealer that sold me the car. I hope it was be an easier sell for them to replace it for me.

G

·
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Jul 25 2004, 12:01 PM
I got the car at 57,000 miles and I have 82,000 now.. What kind of maintence would be done during that timeframe? I am going to take it back to the dealer that sold me the car. I hope it was be an easier sell for them to replace it for me.
That's only about 25k miles that you've put on, I would say you should have had at least one fluid/filter change in that period of time, but that should be the only thing as far as tranny maintenance. Tranny maintenance is "scheduled" for every 30k miles in the manual IIRC.

FWIW, I've always found that it's easier to get the place where you bought the car to help you out than somewhere else. I bought my car at a dealership over an hour away from me and I have service done at a dealership nearby. Since I have had maintenance/repairs done at the local dealership they seem to be more willing to help me out with things. I think the biggest help was when I had them fix my car back in January after I slid into a curb.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some scarry problems on the road, I took it in today. Hopefully it will show up for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts