Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Ford Taurus SHO
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More of a garage find, but picking up a 3rd Gen SHO, complete, straight, good interior, sunroof, all electric, and only 41,842 miles. Has not run in 5 years, but was being driven when parked. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am an old time wrench turner, mechanic. My friends call me Gus.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your find. Nice to see a pic. As you likely know, fluids need flushed and refreshed after store. Brake fluid flush sometimes gets omitted.
And I am, older time wrench turner.
-chart-

·
Registered
22,907 Posts
Congrats and welcome Gus! May pm members jag1959 (Mark) and zenriddles (Eric) with any gen3 SHO questions. Are the cams welded?

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
The sprockets are held in position on the camshafts by little more than the goodwill of the ever capricious God of Chance. When manufactured they were simply 'swaged' (a form of die pressing) in place. No keys, pins, slots, nothing but...faith. Which as it turned out was grossly misplaced. As the 3.4 is an interference engine when the sprocket jumps on the shaft absolute mayhem ensues. We aren't just talking some bent valves but an absolute grenade. Some folks tried pinning the sprockets but the 3.4 is an aggressive beast and there were failures reported on pinned engines. In fact my last parts car came to me courtesy of a failed pin.

Anyone that turns the key on an unwelded 3.4 is rolling the dice every time. It's not a matter of if but when.
That said, a welded properly tuned Gen 3 SHO is the equal of any of the Euro Sport Saloon competitors of its era and superior to most. It is an adult version of a true sleeper. They are a joy to drive and that's coming from a Jag enthusiast.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Hi Gus.

Check out V8SHO.com - it is your friend, if not a terribly disorganized mess. The golden nuggets in that site are lifesavers.

Where you at? If close to SHOcago area, I've been known to pull people's front valve covers for them for free just to see if their motor is in fact welded or not.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Taurus SHO
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pahrump, Nevada
I have been doing some research on this, it is highly involved, but doable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
More of a garage find, but picking up a 3rd Gen SHO, complete, straight, good interior, sunroof, all electric, and only 41,842 miles. Has not run in 5 years, but was being driven when parked. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am an old time wrench turner, mechanic. My friends call me Gus.
Not sure I am qualified to post to this esteemed thread, so feel free to laugh and tell me to go away! Since you're a mechanic, I am pretty sure you know all this, but maybe a few 'regular folk' may find it helpful. Anyway, :cool: here goes.

Suggestion the first: Rubber bits. Check em all. When I got my 1995 wagon, it had not been driven much since it had first been purchased. Had less than 15k miles on.

But... all cars age, even if not driven, and the first places they age are rubber bits and fluids. So fluids need changed and any settled gunk cleaned/flushed out. I would even check things like the plastic tanks that hold the washer fluid, as they tend to age poorly.

I threw some Techron into my gas tank for the first couple tanks or so, and I do it about once a year since, but I cannot tell you empirically if it does anything... but my car runs well (idles so quietly, sometimes I wonder if it's on) and it was born in 1995, (prolly late 1994, actually) so... I'm gonna keep doing it every now and then as it seems happy :rolleyes:.

Rubber bits:

Tires: Flat spot. Even if they're perfect, with all tread, they're probably best off as spares if you want to keep one or a couple in your barn/garage. They might be a bit better for a car that was driven a small distances on a regular basis.

Hoses, mounts, connectors: I'd also look at hoses and any place where there might be hard rubber bits that support and connect things... Your mechanic (you!!) should go over the car with a fine tooth comb. Heat/cold cycles and random microbes that like to eat rubber on cars that aren't driven much cause deterioration even without wear.

I found that a lot of nearly new rubber had just dried out and was happier knowing I had replaced them. Also little tiny T shaped plastic bits that join those rubber bits... those break on Tauruses. Plastic really does not age well anywhere. They're easy to fix, but nasty if they leave you in the middle of nowhere without an auto parts store nearby. Had three break on two different tauruses. One on a lonely road... Fun was not had, but was grateful to be handy.

The other weakness I've had now with two tauruses of a certain age. Brake lines. They age. Probably on any car, but since I had the same thing happen to two different 95s in dramatic fashion, I'm sharing. Came out one day, had no brakes, found all the brake fluid was... gone. Line had not been cut it just 'broke'. One was 16 years old (many, many miles). The other was 25 (the low mileage one). Both just degraded and suicided.

Not sure about the SHO, but in the 3.0L engines, a lot of people put power steering fluid in their power steering system, instead of Type F transmission fluid that it actually takes. Every Taurus I've ever looked at (87-95) where people used power steering fluid instead of Type F developed a power steering system leak, and that leak damaged the lovely and important rubber bits below... So you then have two issues, rotten rubber (mounting bits as I recall) and a power steering leak. Since the SHO has a different set up from the regular 3.0L, it may not have this issue.

I would love a SHO (my dream is of 1995 - especially that SHO wagon that they never made...), so enjoy!!

My layperson's two cents!

Blue

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would love a SHO (my dream is of 1995 - especially that SHO wagon that they never made...), so enjoy!!

Blue
Somebody posted a SHO wagon a month or two ago. I can't seem to find the post at the moment, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Somebody posted a SHO wagon a month or two ago. I can't seem to find the post at the moment, though.
I saw one that someone put together that was in a car magazine once. It wasn't clear if it was a prototype or what (at least thru the 1995 model year). That was the only one I've ever heard of. If you find the post, please let me know, I'd LOVE to read it. Thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I saw one that someone put together that was in a car magazine once. It wasn't clear if it was a prototype or what (at least thru the 1995 model year). That was the only one I've ever heard of. If you find the post, please let me know, I'd LOVE to read it. Thanks.
This particular car, somebody swapped in the SHO engine, transmission, and front seats, as well as some other goodies from the SHO into an LX (probably) wagon that already had leather seats. @jag1959 you didn't happen to see the post I'm talking about, did you?

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
@95TaurusinSK I don't recall a recent one on a SHO wagon but posts kind of blend together on me.
There have been a few SHO powered wagons posted over the years including a toreador red one that was done as a show car (no pun intended). Of them all I think SHOALL's is the car that comes most readily to mind, it goes back some years but it was his DD. I think it always stuck with me because he lowered it and as a longroof fan that struck me as counterintuitive.
Pics here:

·
Registered
214 Posts
@95TaurusinSK I don't recall a recent one on a SHO wagon but posts kind of blend together on me. I don't recall a recent one on a SHO wagon.
There have been a few SHO powered wagons posted over the years including a toreador red one that was done as a show car (no pun intended). Of them all I think SHOALL's is the car that comes most readily to mind, it goes back some years but it was his DD. I think it always stuck with me because he lowered it and as a longroof fan that struck me as counterintuitive.
Pics here:
Thanks, Jag. That's pretty cool. I've tried searching twice, but haven't found the one I'm actually looking for - it was a Gen2. And I just figured out why. It wasn't a thread two months ago (sorry, Jag!). It was a post in the used Taurus/Sable finds thread.

The car has sold, but I found this: At $2,000, Would You SHO Up For This Hot Rod 1994 Ford Taurus Wagon? THAT is the car. As soon as I saw the picture, I recognized it. @DeepBlueJoy Check this out. This is the one I was referring to the other day.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Taurus SHO
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey SHO peeps, I finalized the deal today. 91 with 41,482 miles. All electric, sunroof, outstanding sound system, needs tires, fuel tank clean out and pump, filters, oil change: etc.
$800

·
Administrator
15,111 Posts
'91 is first Gen not 3rd, no need to weld cams.
I wouldn't trust the timing belt after all that time sitting though. Might be a good idea to do the 60k full service now.

·
Registered
22,907 Posts
^ Gus, may also pm member loudsho92 with any questions/needs. He's the resident ShoSource vendor who specializes in early sho's.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Taurus SHO
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the info. Was seriously considering timing belt and gears. Along with water pump

1 - 20 of 21 Posts