Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was backing my taurus 96' v6 duratec out of the garage today and all of a sudden i heard a sound like i had run over a hard plastic container. anyway i checked under the car and nothing was there. i continued to pull out and the car started bucking and making loud cracking sounds. i immediatly turned it off and discoverd a pool of about 1/4 cup of transmission fluid in the drive way. Now i just had a new transmission put in about 2 years ago and have only put on about 15'000 miles since then. I also checked all fluids and all was normal the car had been ideling for about 10 minutes. Also i let the car rest for a good 15 minutes and tried to pull it into the garrage with similar results, but now it sticks like a break has been applied and bucks and makes crackling sounds. anyway has anyone else had this problem and what was the cost for the fix?
thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine made the same noise when the casing cracked. It cracks above the differential section of the transmission, but its not visible without lowering the tranmission a bit. (Its at the top of the transmission).
It will only really leak when the car is on and the transmission is pressurised.

Hope thats not whats wrong with yours,
Julian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is a question about dealerships. When i purchased my taurus from the local ford dealership 3 weeks later the transmission died and they replaced it under warranty. I no longer am under the warranty period, but does ford have any guarantee or warranty on parts they replace reguardless if your cars warranty has expired? this brand new transmission that they installed has failed after 1 1/2-2 years and 15,000 miles.

thanks again.
Justin

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by bull_out_2_pasture@Aug 16 2004, 07:59 PM
this is a question about dealerships. When i purchased my taurus from the local ford dealership 3 weeks later the transmission died and they replaced it under warranty. I no longer am under the warranty period, but does ford have any guarantee or warranty on parts they replace reguardless if your cars warranty has expired? this brand new transmission that they installed has failed after 1 1/2-2 years and 15,000 miles.

thanks again.
Justin
I think a part that is replaced under warranty is only warranted for the remainder of origanel warranty unless you can prove negligence. Like the casing bolt where severely over torxed when the new trany was installed. Do you no if you got a brand new transmission or just a rebuilt?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Speaking from personal experience here in Australia. Dealerships here will give a warranty on certain parts they install; like remanufactured parts. Here though u'd get 1 year warranty on the transmission, so you'd have to check with your dealership to be sure or your invoice from the last transmission work.

Julian

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am done buying fords. the dealership refused to answer any of my questions and tried to make me feel as though I did not know what I was talking about. (In the end it turns out that the problem was exactly how I described) Also had the nerve to charge me close to triple the cost for the part and repair $3,000. The mom and pop shop said they would charge me only 1,100 for the repair useing brand new parts. I cant have my car loose ANOTHER transmission every 1 1/2 - 2 yrs so i guess a honda is in my near future.
Thanks for all your help, you all knew exactly what was going to happen and it did!
-justin

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Being a dealership guy, I can tell you that most repairs, big or small, have a 1-yr 20,000 km warranty - at least at our shop anyway - regardless of what factory warranty may be remaining on the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just stopped by the mechanics on the way to work this morning to see the progress of the repair. well all the guy said was that i was lucky to be alive. He then showed me the transmission that they had just pulled out of my taurus each gear looked like swiss cheese all gouged up! there was a bunch of debris pulled out of the housing as well. My mechanic (who we have been doing business with for years, very trust worthy) said that there is no way that the dealership had replaced this transmission when i was last in for the original transmission repair. the only new part on the car was some electric gizmo that attatches to the transmission housing. if they did truly repair it they missed replacing all gears and seals. At this point i will be writing a letter to the dealership owner informing him of my situation. I will keep you all informed
-Justin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts