Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a while I've had a sort of rattling/popping noise as I go over the bumps on the road. My mechanic says the ball joints need to be replaced, and I got him to agree to $180 for both front ball joints, incl. labor.

Will this solve my rattling problem? It's rather quite annoying and slightly embarrassing.

·
Registered
564 Posts
it could but also have the sway bar end links checked. They are cheap and easy to replace and are a common cause for a clunk when hitting even the slightest bump. Do you have any unusual tire wear?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. All the tires have normal wear, and are all about 20-30k old. I've had so much replaced in the suspension over the past year. I will post in a bit everything I've had replaced.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Did he find ply in the ball joints? Mine makes the same kind of noises, even if you turn the wheels, at the same and consistant wheel positions. Mine has bad strut plates that are making the same kind of noises, but my ball joints are still nice and tight. My end links are still doing okay, but I'm going to replace those when, or if I replace the struts (I might unload it this spring for a new Mazda).

·
Registered
18 Posts
My bet is the sway bar links. Try going around a curve at a normal driving speed on a bumpy road (like maybe an entrance to an express way). This will put a load on the link joints as the car tries to roll and the link will not be able to rattle. If no rattle on bumpy curves, and rattle on straight bumpy road, then it is probably the sway bar links. Ball joints will usually squeak as they go bad when you push up and down on the fender, especially when it is real hot. I've changed both the ball joints and the sway bar links (at different times) and those were the symptoms that I had and were corrected.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
For a while I had noise coming from otherwise good plastic end link on the left side simply because the nut's holding it was not tightened enough. To see if you have this problem, grab the end link with your hand and try to shake it. If a noise is coming, then that's the source of noise. You don't even need to take a wheel off to see it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I got them repaired. The popping as I'm driving is much quieter now, and much closer to normal. However, since they repaired it there is a rattle coming from the front. I discovered that even when I lightly apply pressure to the brakes, it disappears immediately.

·
Registered
564 Posts
So I got them repaired. The popping as I'm driving is much quieter now, and much closer to normal. However, since they repaired it there is a rattle coming from the front. I discovered that even when I lightly apply pressure to the brakes, it disappears immediately.

Did you replace the ball joint, end links, or both?
For the new rattle, have you had any of the inner and outer tie rod ends replaced? Easy test is to jack up the tire and instead of pulling on the tire from 12 and 6 position do it from the 9 and 3 position. If you can feel or hear a looseness it is probably a tie rod end. If you can narrow it down to which side then you almost have to get underneath to watch for movement while someone else pulls on the tire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both lower ball joints were replaced. If I kick the top of the tires while the car is on the ground, I can hear a very distinct rattle.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I remember I had the same issue with another car years back. I couldn't locate the noise source. I didn't feel unsafe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts