Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question... I just removed the failed drivers side ball joint on my Gen 3...

the snap ring was on the top side of the ball joint, but in looking at it, it doesn't appear that it would serve a purpose where it was, almost like it was installed correctly.

Does the snap ring go on the top (Axle side), or the underside where the stud is? Seems like it would make more sense on the underside.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Top. The ball joint should be slightly recessed with the ring on top of it.

FWIW the earlier Gen 3s up to early 1997 calender time used a press in ball joint. They were a mother to get out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Top. The ball joint should be slightly recessed with the ring on top of it.

FWIW the earlier Gen 3s up to early 1997 calender time used a press in ball joint. They were a mother to get out.
The snap ring that came out and the new one that came with it are both too small to fit on the top.. They appear to fit perfectly on the under side where there is a groove... If I put the snap ring on the top, the ball joint can still slide right out of the top...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then why are you asking????
It's not that I don't believe you lol... I just don't understand the premise of the snap ring on top. There is no groove for it, and as the ball joint installs from the top, what holds it in?

I'm just confused.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
just went and looked the snap ring is on the bottom. What side is it on on the ones on the car now?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just went and looked the snap ring is on the bottom. What side is it on on the ones on the car now?
I put it on the bottom, there is a groove there that it fits perfectly in and seems to hold the ball joint in place, if I put it in the top (where the old one was), the ball joint pushes out with minimum force.

Btw, this is a late Gen 3, built in early 1999.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts