Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question mostly for those with extensive repair experience. Do ball joints reach the condition where replacement is highly recommended for 100K+? While you were working on an unrelated issue and had to separate BJ from knuckle, did you often find BJ loose on 100k+ cars?

I have a pickup. In pickup forums, BJ replacement is a frequent topic. But I don't see BJ as often mentioned here as in the pickup forms. Is it because pickups are used 200K+ whereas Taurus goes 100K+? Or because BJ on lightly loaded sedans don't wear out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23,350 Posts
Seriously, inspect the joint closely. Jack it up and perform the 6-12 wheel shake checking for play and movement.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Seriously, inspect the joint closely. Jack it up and perform the 6-12 wheel shake checking for play and movement.
That doesn't always tell. The reason being, the strut is still applying pressure to the joint, so it's harder to spot failure. I always put a pry bar under the tire when it's jacked up and check for movement.

My joints showed no play with the 6/12 shake, got it apart and they were dry and rusty.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a question mostly for those with extensive repair experience. Do ball joints reach the condition where replacement is highly recommended for 100K+? While you were working on an unrelated issue and had to separate BJ from knuckle, did you often find BJ loose on 100k+ cars?

I have a pickup. In pickup forums, BJ replacement is a frequent topic. But I don't see BJ as often mentioned here as in the pickup forms. Is it because pickups are used 200K+ whereas Taurus goes 100K+? Or because BJ on lightly loaded sedans don't wear out?

Thanks.
Yeah, I think it is more common for them to fail on trucks, Mine are just starting to go on my '03 Ranger that only has 45K, which is not uncommon. I also hear that s-10's had issues with them as well. But my mom bought a '93 Cougar back in '01 w/105K and it needed BJ's a few months to a year after she bought it, so maybe it's a RWD thing???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts