Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Duratec. I just noticed the other day that when I had my transmission rebuilt, they used a pickle fork tool to pop my balljoints apart. They tore the rubber covers badly. These were almost new ball joints. Can I replace just the rubber parts or will the joints need to be replaced again? Going back to the transmission shop is not an option. Thanks.
Ed :angry:

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
If going back to them to make it right is not an option I would a least demand credit to have them replaced somewhere else. You are right to be pissed about this!

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Yup, Pitman arm puller works great. Tighten it down good, and if the ball joint doesnt pop, give the knuckle a good hit with a hammer to get it to pop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We don't even use the fork when we know we're replacing the balljoints!
Anyhoo - yeah - you gotta replace the ball joint... (be thankful - Ford doesn't offer just the balljoint for a lot of their vehicles anymore!)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
1999 Duratec. I just noticed the other day that when I had my transmission rebuilt, they used a pickle fork tool to pop my balljoints apart. They tore the rubber covers badly. These were almost new ball joints. Can I replace just the rubber parts or will the joints need to be replaced again? Going back to the transmission shop is not an option. Thanks.
Ed :angry:
I am sure there are replacement boots. Energy Suspension makes boots for tie rod ends and ball joints.

I saw on youtube a shop employee using pickle fork on air impact wrench. Apparently, that's what shops do.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Do you plan to replace BJ boot yourself or pay someone? If you are paying, you may want to use the BJ until it goes bad. The cost of replacing BJ boot may not be much different from BJ replacement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.