Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a problem for a while with my system but as of late, it's gotten really bad. When I turn the car on and then turn my radio on, I hear a bunch of static over my speakers. After I shift into OD and step on the gas, it gets even worse. The static remains at a constant level so if I blast my radio loud enough I can almost drown it out. One thing I've noticed though is that the more accessories I have on (headlights, heat, etc.), the less static I hear. If I step on the brakes while all the accessories are on, the static almost goes away completely (maybe because the brake lights add to the load?).

I know my car has a bad alternator, so could this have something to do with it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
there is a radio cap on the Ign wire below the coil if this goes bad you will get alternator and Ign noise in the radio. ALSO check your ground a bad ground will do lots of magic for you.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Xee@Mar 1 2004, 01:38 PM
I've had a problem for a while with my system but as of late, it's gotten really bad. When I turn the car on and then turn my radio on, I hear a bunch of static over my speakers. After I shift into OD and step on the gas, it gets even worse. The static remains at a constant level so if I blast my radio loud enough I can almost drown it out. One thing I've noticed though is that the more accessories I have on (headlights, heat, etc.), the less static I hear. If I step on the brakes while all the accessories are on, the static almost goes away completely (maybe because the brake lights add to the load?).

I know my car has a bad alternator, so could this have something to do with it?
Check the connections of the power and ground to the amp, meaning the actual part where the contacts are. I had kinda the same problem as you, but I didnt have the bad alternator.

-Damon

·
Registered
48 Posts
The altanator will generally make a "whine" sound, the static is more of a ground loop. Check your connections at ground. If your using a factory ground (as in you used a METRA wiring kit or such) then try grounding it outside that. Make sure you scrape the area good you ground it to..skuff it with sandpaper or 3M pad, then drill it in. Try this and let us know how it it. The reason it gets quieter when you turn accessories on as its drawing current so your bad ground isnt as noticable. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I had paid out of the @$$ to have this all professionally installed just so I wouldn't have to worry about problems like this. Obviously I won't waste my money again. I'll check out the grounds and let you know how it goes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts