Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got this Gen 3 1998 24V SE taurus not too long ago and I was driving on the highway today...had the cruise on since no one was on there...but of course get behind a slow moving clunker with no way to pass so have to turn it off. All the sudden my car just like looses it...the rpm's drop to 1500 and it just starts coming to a halt. So i pull off the highway and start moving along and it seems different now...like its missing 1st or 2nd gear or something...I'm no real mechanic but luckly i got a dealer warenty on a used car so i will get this checked so anyone know what might of happend or explain so i dont have ot decipher what the dealer doods tell me? I just can't beleive that at 50K miles on the car something could go that wrong...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Believe me, it's possible. The tranny is toast. The previous owner probably didn't take very good care of the car mechanically. Mine actually blew up inside. It was real cool to see. The transmission casing had a giant hole in it, the gears and pistons were all mushroomed out, and everything had scorch mark everywhere

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm well im pretty sure mine didn't "blow up"...no leaking fluid after sitting for a few hours now and the fluid itself is still its normal pink color (i've at least scene burnt fluid so i know when it is and its not
)
Could it be something electrical? I did a stereo install this weekend adding in two new subwoofers draining about 500W RMS. Could turning off the cruise control (via the brake) have given the system enough of a jolt to cause it to do something wierd to the tranny settings? I'm still gunna take it in to get checked out but i need to drive it a little ways first since i'm about 50 miles away from dealer and the same distance from home right now and no towing insurance yet so that would be hell to pay for...

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
nick's 98 duratec tranny went somewhere around 46k miles, but, nick did beat on that thing a lil bit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts