Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well......I had my transmisson replaced a few months ago. The car wont move again, my dad has enough of this tranny guy he's going to replace the tranny himself. The guy suposedly put in the ax4n a rebuilt one but my dad thinks he should put a diffrent one in, what do you think. He seems to know everythink but the ax4n is the updated version of the ax4s. He said that ford came with 2 bad transmissions and one good one.....I have to say is the good one is the ax4n the lady before me didnt take care of the tranny, and the tranny guy is just an idiot. so thanks for your opinion..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Originally posted by Taurusse1995@Apr 6 2004, 02:50 PM
Well......I had my transmisson replaced a few months ago. The car wont move again, my dad has enough of this tranny guy he's going to replace the tranny himself. The guy suposedly put in the ax4n a rebuilt one but my dad thinks he should put a diffrent one in, what do you think. He seems to know everythink but the ax4n is the updated version of the ax4s. He said that ford came with 2 bad transmissions and one good one.....I have to say is the good one is the ax4n the lady before me didnt take care of the tranny, and the tranny guy is just an idiot. so thanks for your opinion..
Was the range sensor replaced in addition to the transmission?

The range sensor is kind of a switch in the engine compartment on top of the transaxle that is linked with the shifter. It tells the computer what gear the car is supposed to be in. Sometimes, these switches can become intermittent, which can cause the car to act like it's still in park, in drive when it's supposed to be in overdrive, in 1st when it's supposed to be in drive, etc. - Reinhart

·
Registered
397 Posts
One thing unfortunate - Trannies require a lot of care when rebuilding.
Updates, doing it right, etc etc.

Problems is, a lot of shops are just wanting to get done with them and get more cars into shop. Meaning, too many go out the door as shotty jobs.

This is more the nature of the business than anything.

Usually once a transmission fails, it is pretty hard to get it to ever be the same, kinda like when your cars body gets messed yup, there is always gonna be SOMEthing different... even after repair.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts