Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Sable w/ 3.0l vulcan
Mods installed.
Cold air intake.
removed resinator and muffler and put in glasspack with dual tips
installed 8mm wires and platinum plugs
bored out the MAF sensor by removing the middle support but leaving the sensor.
17 inch rims w/ 225/45/17 tires

I just started having some trouble with my throttle response
It used to be great but gradually it has gotten very bad
If shifter is in "D" and im idling at like 3 mph and i floor the gas, the engine actualy idles down and kinda stalls for about 1/2 a second then picks up.
i dont know why it pauses like that.. could someone give me their 2 cents on my situation. I want to get some acceleration.

Also question #2 If i remove the cats on the exhaust, how can i avoid the check engine light and the motor running richer?

Sorry for all the Q's but i didnt want to start another post..
thnks again

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I'd change your fuel filter see if that solves the problem. If not habe your fuel pump checked out. Your Throttle Position Sensor may have bit the big one too... Or even your Cat's are clogged....or all of the above.

Is your tranny shifting ok? a Bad TPS can cause harsh shifts, sometimes as if your driving a manual. When mine went bad I had bad acelleration and I would chirp the taurus through 4th gear.

As for that cats, DRAXAS has MIL illiminators, I would assume the Duratec ones would work with the Vulcan, but dont quote me on that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tps sensor aic sensor
all the sensors have been changed in the last few months.
the cats are my thought
100k miles also with glasspack it should sound different than it does..
sounds like air wispering its way back instead of a rumble.
as far as fuel filter and pump. all are the origionals.
how much are those things for the o2 sensors?
if i gut the convertor and dont put one of those iliminators on, will i lose performance. or will i just have a check engine light.
i can live with the light. but will it hurt performance if i just leave the o2 alone?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the sable run great after i did that to the MAF.
it has been that way for about 1 year so i dont think that could be it.
also i hear a rattle under the motor when i first crank it. sounds like the cats may be breaking loose.
but anyways.. another question..
if i gut both cats out.. no emision laws here..... should i leave the cat hulls on there or should i put a pipe in their place.
We have a full shop with lift and mig welders and such..
i really want that mean sound.
so should i leave them on and just gut them or should i take em off and pipe em?
which would sound better????
thnks again..........

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
running no o2 sensors I beleive will cause you to run rich, and a rich burning ford engine smells bad and you'll probably loose gas mileage. Change your fuel filter! Some places say to do it every 15,000 miles, I do, I dont trust the gas around here anymore.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i would leave the o2 sensors in their place.. and hooked up..
but if i gut the cats and leave the o2 sensors on there with no MIL illiminators would it hurt performance ???
i can live with light.. lived with it long time :)

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
No emission laws....you suck. It might be easier just to stamp the cats out. If you want a meaner sound get a flowmaster muffler and maybe put a glasspack in place of the resonator.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
if the o2 sensors are hooked up and in the cat's I dont see where there should be a problem, but I'm unsure :huh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i have the glasspack in the same place as resinator and no muffler after that..
it was all i wanted to pay.. 18 bucks autozone :)
but i do want a deeper powerful sound..
think gutting the cats would help that?
would it be better to just put a pipe or gut them?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I'd gut 'em. And get a flowmaster muffler, you can get them on ebay for 40 bucks and it will give you a meaner sound.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
i have no cats with the mil elliminators installed and get no ill effects from the eliminators. You will need 2.

the rattle is probably your cats.

I am not sure how a vulcan will sound with no cats and only a glasspack.

My assumption would be too loud and raspy.

i would add a nice muffler to this setup to get perfect tone.

If you have not replaced your fuel filter then it is time

every 30,000 miles and it only costs about 5 bux

G

·
The MIL eliminators are needed because your car has 4 o2 sensors. Two are before the cats, and two are after the cats. If you take the cats out, and don't use the MIL eliminators, the car will not run correctly.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You throttle response problem is likely the maf. I had the same thing on my 99 vulcan. But on mine it would even out after a second and pull hard like it had secondaries. The other thing could just be the tranny is getting old. Mine seemed to lag more after running it down the track to much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont know what it could be.
im gonna gut convertors and add the MiL iliminators to the o2's
and change fuel filter.
that will most likely fix it.
the MAF, all i did was take it off and use a hacksaw blade and rotory cutting tool to cut and smooth out the support bar that runs down the center of the opening.
i covered the actual sensor with ductape.
of course i had to reset the cpu with the OBDII scanner.
but ran fine..
now i can hear noises under the motor when it is at idle.
punch it and it hesitates..
also going 75 or so on interstate and floor it to pass someone, it kinda feels like its not accelerating like the rpms are.
i believe its the cats.
also will give me a good sound dont u think?? i cant use flowchickens because my pipes are split before and go out diagnal of rear tires like u see on some trucks.
looks good in my opinion. so i had to use a Glasspack style muffler.. Cherry Bomb straight through muffler.
still open to opinions on sound of the cats removed vs not ...
thanks again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts