Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I am new to this 1995 Sable 3.0. I have noticed that when the tank gets to about half full I get a strong fuel odor in the car. When I park the car I can't put it in my garage because the fumes are too strong and get in the house. I am guessing now that it is warmer out and the tank vapor pressure build it gets vented out of the hose to the tank valve that is just open to atmosphere and located near the fuel filter but it shouldn't be THAT strong.

Anyone have this?

Thanks

Chuck

·
Registered
587 Posts
unless you got the evaporative emission canister on that car for the fuel system and the canister went bad or you got a hole in the fuel tank by the filler tube or some thing have you filled it full and parked it on clean card board to see if any seeps out? over night? if not has to be the evap canister i think they have those on the 1995 but they may not so all i can say is cheek in to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have actually dropped the tank and pressure tested it, the only leak it has is when it gets to a certain pressure and the the vent tube starts puking vapor. It just seems to me it should go into a cannister but I checked for TSB's and there is ONE that adds an update kit but all it seems to do it move the end of the vent hose from underneat the car near the wheel to the rear bumper. A little odor I can understand but this is just overpowering. I even used a gas analyzer and "sniffed" the pump seal and the Fuel vapor valve but it's OK. I was just wondering if this is just how they are when it gets hot out?

It does have a charcoal can in the front left fender area, there is also a valve and some hoses that I replaced. I don't know if that valve goes bad an it doesn't pull the vapor out of the tank enough????

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem , i had a fuel pump installed and the pump is running loud and the tune changes with voltage change and i have a smell as if i have a leak some where but i see no gas on the card board at all ! The weather is hot here and the smell is bad

·
Registered
587 Posts
what about the seal on the gas cap those are know to fail ??? build up pressure and expels tons of Odor who knows you know

·
Registered
24 Posts
You may have a bad purge valve keeping the tank from properly venting from the canister. Valve should be near the canister.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts