Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I changed the oil in my parents' 2000 Duratec. When I removed the oil cap, I noticed some watery oil gunk up inside the cap. So then I removed the breather tube that comes out of the front valve cover and it was gunked up too. There was no water in the oil, so I'm not too worried, but I thought I remember someone else who had this happen though and it was a clogged PCV valve. Or maybe the moisture in the engine just didn't have enough time to evaporate? I don't know. The car has 21,000 miles. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
sounds to me like it was humid and condensation was forming here and there....but PVC's arnt too expensive, replace it if your worried about it

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Dec 28 2003, 06:14 PM
Today I changed the oil in my parents' 2000 Duratec. When I removed the oil cap, I noticed some watery oil gunk up inside the cap. So then I removed the breather tube that comes out of the front valve cover and it was gunked up too. There was no water in the oil, so I'm not too worried, but I thought I remember someone else who had this happen though and it was a clogged PCV valve. Or maybe the moisture in the engine just didn't have enough time to evaporate? I don't know. The car has 21,000 miles. What do you guys think?
Well, I have the same car, same year, and same engine. I also noticed that gunk you were referring to when I first got the car at 18K. It almost looking like coffee colored yogurt, and it was on the inside of the oil filler cap. I cleaned the gunk out, and I waited till my next oil change to switch to synthetic oil. I havent had this gunk since. I didnt switch to synthetic because of the gunk, yet it seemed to alleviate the problem.

Also, you WILL have trouble finding a PCV for a 2000 Duratec engine. Youre best bet is to goto your dealer and get it from them, the part will cost you about 8 bucks or so.

-Damon

J

·
0 Posts
I honestly am not sure what the purpose of the PCV valve is, but when I got my oil changed today at approx 35k miles, they told me the PCV valve is usually changed every 35k and they asked if I wanted to have it done, they only wanted $8 so I told them to go ahead.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong in any of this but...

PCV = Posative Crankcase Ventalation

Basicly there is pressure in the crankcase of your engine. This is just how it is plain and simple =p If this pressure doesn't vent properly it WILL VENT in one way or another. When i blew my rings and there was more pressure than the PCV could handle it chose to vent through the dipstick and right out onto the exhaust manifold. The PCV is operated by the intake vacumn to open when it should and stay shut when it shouldn't. Instead of venting the vapors right to the atmosphere they are vented back into the intake for emsissions.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
When you say the vacuum opens "it" up and closes it when it should what do you mean by IT?? Their is nothing to open or closes on the PCV. If someone is worried about the pressure building up and blowing somethimg out, due to a clogged PCV. Than get 2 of those "ricer" styled PCV breathers or filters, whatever they are. I just put 2 on my car, and now I shouldn't have to worry about that HOT and dirty air going back into my intake. And they should NEVER clog or put up any resistance for the pressure coming out of the PCV.

Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure their is something bad about these PCV filter, but weighed against the good things, what is better??

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by D Man@Dec 29 2003, 09:45 AM
Please anybody correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure their is something bad about these PCV filter, but weighed against the good things, what is better??
If you are using two of these filters, I don't think your crankcase would vent as it is designed to. If you just used one on the breather side it would be fine, because that side is just drawing in air. But on the other side where the PCV valve is, you want the engine's vacuum to suck some air out of the crankcase. If you just throw one of those filters on that side that is not going to happen. You might still get enough ventilation though. I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Breathers = bad.

About that nasty gunk you're talking about on the bottom of the oil cap, does it have like a mayonaise consistency? I heard that's the result of a fuel leak that mixes with the oil.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Breathers=BAD That's not enough to convince anybody, that it's bad. Need more info.

It looks likt there is 2 PCV spots. One on each valve cover. I myself have never really heard of this but, it's what I see. Both hoses are identical in every way. So I assume they are both PCVs, there for a filter could be put on. If one of these is not a PCV, than what is it, and what's it for??

Can anybody give any REAL reason NOT to it put on. Or if it's alright to put on. Or if it's good to put on.

X

·
0 Posts
Instead of putting a breather, check out what Paul did, he made a canister with a filter and that serves as the pcv.

Also, make sure the hoses are free of gunk. If the pcv backs up, u may ahve to clean the 2 hoses connected to it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
HOLY CRAP
. That was alot of reading. On the first page their is a diagram of the mototr and the 2 valve cover hoses (one on each cover) and the PCV hose (right in the middle going under the TB). And after reading or skiming through those pages, I still see no reason not to put the filters on the 2 hoses coming of each valve cover, beside saving the enviroment. I don't actuall put them on the hoses, but where the hoses meet the valve cover. I have not touched the actual PCV tube from the LIM to the TB. Both hoses are blocked off on the intake tube.

Thanx any Mike. I am trying to find a reason not to put these 2 flters on the valve covers. The reason would have to be, it's hurting my car. I don't quite care about emissions. I don't expect any gains from it. Just myself know that oily gunk isn't going back into my motor. Even tough some my be coming from the PCV. I'll work on that later, but for now I want to see if these flters will work with no problem. And after a couple months we'll see if they are harmful or helpful or nothing.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Breather caps are bad for the engine. You end up running lean due to the fact you are sucking in unmetered air. This is burned when pulled through the PCV valve.

You would be better off to eliminate the PCV valve and just dump the stinky gasses out the rear with a long hose. Or you could use a condensation can to condenses the blowby gasses out. Just made a new improved self draining one the other day.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So, you say take the breathers off and put LONG rubber hoses on and let the hose dangel close to the grond so what ever will drip, will drip down there?? If this is what your saying (which I don't think it is), that what's the difference if I just put on the breathers?? Now all I'm replacing is the 2 hoses one on each valve cover. If these are the PCV. Than what is in the middle near the LIM and goes to the TB or that general direction. I'm starting to get confused now
. According to the diagram in the archive post, posted by mikehawk, the PCV is in the middel and NO name is given to what the 2 hoses are that come off the valve covers.

There is alot of confusion here (mainly on my part) on what EXACTLY and where EXACTLY the PCV is and is there more than one PCV

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Putting a breather filter on the valve cover is bad IF you still have the PCV valve connected. You will ingest air in the motor that is unmetered. If you want to eliminate the ingestion of the PCV gasses then the only ways are to remove them before they go through the PCV valve ( condense them out and dump them somehow) or run a hose from the existing PCV hose to the ground (which just passes the blowby out into the atmosphere as was done before the EPA).

NOT a hose on the valve covers and still leaving the PCV valve operational.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Now I understand
. Thanx Paul. It only took me 100 times.

How much unmeterd air do you think is actually going in. Rated from 1-10 10 being the worst. What # do you think best represents the amount of air going in??

Is it just that fact that unmeterd air going in is bad, and it might run lean?? If so could a fuel upgrade help it equal out.

Does the air that goes into the valve cover actually go into the motor?? Or is it just used for cooling purposes??

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The normal air flow through the PCV system is through the air filter and MAF from the pre-TB intake track into the valve covers. Through the crankcase and up out the oil separator. Then it goes out the PCV valve and into the intake manifold.

If you are drawing the air in through air filters on the ends of hoses on the valve cover then you are sucking in unmetered air and creating a vacuum leak.

What you could do is plug the valve cover lines which will help create a vacuum in the crankcase. This is what I do on my cars. This will seal the piston compression rings better and increase performance a small bit. It also cuts the amount of blowby gas volume in half due to the elimination of atmospheric moisture.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I found this old thread while using search, and I have a question. Where does the small upper line on the PCV valve go? Does it connect to the intake? I noticed the plastic line that it was connected to had broken off, but the line was not connected on the other end, or can I just bypass it by pulling out the PCV and plugging the crankcase? Also, does oil on the PCV valve mean it needs to be replaced, and could this be causing the intermittent "Check Engine" light?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts