Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 Sable with 150k on it.Febuary of 2010,had a rebuild done on tranny and life seemed good.three months later lost a cylinder in the motor.Trying to get a little more out of the car I had a motor from a 97 Taurus put in and been correcting error codes since.Now I have an injector with no juice(checked with noid light)and I'm getting frustrated.First set of error codes involved cylinders two and five which I corrected by putting origianal coil with new wires on motor.Could my PCM be bad?Everything was okay until motor swap. :(

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The outputs of the PCM rarely fail. They are current sinks-they switch the ground. The hot should always be on with ignition on(may need engine running though). If not, check the wiring harness-maybe it was damaged during the swap.

·
Registered
484 Posts
It,s very unlikely that your PCM is bad. Error codes will, at best, give you a place to start diagnosising a problem. The error code will show which system is being affected but it,s up to you to determine the cause. Some error codes can be generated because the PCM is trying to compensate for another failure in another system. If, for example, you have a crack in the PCV hose elbow the PCM will try to compensate by closing the IAV. The result may show a code blaming the IAV. Try thinking about the related systems.

Good luck, Popeye

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 29 2010, 07:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807622
The outputs of the PCM rarely fail. They are current sinks-they switch the ground. The hot should always be on with ignition on(may need engine running though). If not, check the wiring harness-maybe it was damaged during the swap.[/b]
Can I pull the harness off the pcm without removing the unit?The book makes it sound like you have to pull it fom the firewall to check resistance on the harness.Thank you all for your replies!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The hot side probably comes from the power distribution by the battery. I don't know where it splits up to each injector. Look to see any damage near the engine (kinks, cuts, etc.). Check connectors too (separation, pulled wires).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 29 2010, 09:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807645
The hot side probably comes from the power distribution by the battery. I don't know where it splits up to each injector. Look to see any damage near the engine (kinks, cuts, etc.). Check connectors too (separation, pulled wires).[/b]
Ihave voltage on each wire but when I temp splice a generic replacement plug on it,I still have no noid light action.other two cylinders in this bank flash normally.I'm perplexed!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I think the next thing to check would be between the injector and the PCM. Also, is the PCM properly grounded?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 29 2010, 06:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807719
I think the next thing to check would be between the injector and the PCM. Also, is the PCM properly grounded?[/b]
After looking at the harness to the pcm,I discovered continuity to the number four cylinder.However when I went to disconnect the harness the bolt on the connecter was loose at best.Once it was reconnected and tightened down the motor ran much better,I didn't even get any error codes on the initial drive of eight miles over highway and back roads,on the second drive I got error codes from the speed shaft sensor and the h02s-11 switching and signal low input.Clean the O2 sensor?Bad transmision speed shaft sensor?Thank you for your help,Robert

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
QUOTE (robster @ Jun 6 2010, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809941
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 29 2010, 06:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807719
I think the next thing to check would be between the injector and the PCM. Also, is the PCM properly grounded?[/b]
After looking at the harness to the pcm,I discovered continuity to the number four cylinder.However when I went to disconnect the harness the bolt on the connecter was loose at best.Once it was reconnected and tightened down the motor ran much better,I didn't even get any error codes on the initial drive of eight miles over highway and back roads,on the second drive I got error codes from the speed shaft sensor and the h02s-11 switching and signal low input.Clean the O2 sensor?Bad transmision speed shaft sensor?Thank you for your help,Robert
[/b][/quote]
You're welcome. The speed sensor generates the signal for the speedometer,and other things. Does the speedo look like it's working normally? The O2 sensors are not cleanable. They can be replaced. You may want to disconnect the battery to reset the PCM. Then drive it around and see if the codes return.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ Jun 6 2010, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809946
QUOTE (robster @ Jun 6 2010, 07:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=809941
[/b][/quote]
You're welcome. The speed sensor generates the signal for the speedometer,and other things. Does the speedo look like it's working normally? The O2 sensors are not cleanable. They can be replaced. You may want to disconnect the battery to reset the PCM. Then drive it around and see if the codes return.
[/b][/quote]
Seems like the speedometer is working fine,will drive a few days and see what happens.Reset the pcm while checking the connection on number four and movimg down the list. thank you again,robert

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have an error code that I saw on another post,P0715,Turbine speed sensor circuit.Trying to find where this is located so I can have a look.Thank you,Robert :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The turbine speed sensor is located on the drivers side of the transmission beside the frame rail. It measures the transmission input shaft speed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts