Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Vulcan. The car surges forward/ lunges when shifted into drive. Does not do it in reverse. Transmission shifts fine otherwise. Thinking it might be a motor mount. The engine does move some when shifted into drive, but how much too much? Is there a way to check motor mounts? I tried to post a video, but it said the file was too large. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Have someone shift the car into drive while you watch the engine for movement.. I'm not sure how much is acceptable or normal, but if looks excessive it probably is.
There is a torque strut mount located on the left rear top of the engine, it looks like a dog bone.. If there's cracks in the bushings, or the movement of that mount is excessive, you can get a new one cheap.. And its really easy to replace.
I try and stay away from anchor products, I've had really bad experiences with them failing after a few months.

As far as the other mounts go, I've never had to mess with them. Hopefully someone will come along and pot their experiences with them!

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
I had a front motor mount that the bolt fell out of and it raised the car up on acceleration because the motor rotated around the front axles. I had a bad transmission mount which is part of the motor mount system that went bad and didn't even know. The original OEM front mount and trans mount are oil filled hydraulic and leak oil on the ground that is similar to transmission fluid. Aftermarket mounts and OEM rear motor mount are solid rubber.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
If you want to show us the video, you can upload it to YouTube and post the link.

I'd absolutely check the dog-bone mount first since it's the easiest. I've done the other two myself, they're not a terrible job IIRC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts