Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went though half a tank driving around for about 4 hours just around town. I know I accelerate fast and romp on it from time to time but a half tank geez. Is this right? I mentioned it to a friend with a Lifted Z 71 and he said its probably my fuel filter or something like that.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Going through half a tank in four hours isn't unheard of in a place like DC where you spend more time idling in traffic than you do moving...I'll occasionally fall to 12-14 mpg average on a tank if it gets bad enough where I live...

That said, check all the basic stuff first - plugs, wires, air filter, tire pressure...I don't think a fuel filter would cause your gas mileage to go down the way it has, though if you haven't replaced it within the last couple years or 25k-30k, you should replace it anyway...If the basics are fine, you'll have to start digging deeper obviously...

Are you having any driveability problems?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
More accurately, how many miles did you drive in those 4 hours?

If I drive my sable hard I can burn through 1/2 a tank of gas in around 100 miles Stop and go driving and driving with the ac on sucks down gas.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AC off and I couldnt have drove over 50 Miles around. And the traffic was fairley normal. Guess Im gonna have to replace the plugs later tonight. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Kids, driving your car hard the way some new drivers do is hell on the gas mileage.
Is there any funky colored smoke coming out of the tailpipe(s)?
Black smoke may indicate too much gasoline burning, and the O2 sensors can cause bad gas economy

·
Registered
341 Posts
i changed the front three plugs in my car recently and they were FUBAR. i usually got 180 miles on a half tank of gas...just with three new plugs that number jumped to 230. and i still need three new plugs and six new wires.

plugs make a huge diff. good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
IDK what to say. Fill your tank all the way and write down your mileage. drive a bunch, then fill your tank again to see how many gallons you used, then write down your mileage. now you know how many miles you drove on how many gallons. I thought i was getting really crappy mileage untill i did that, only to find out i was getting 23 - 25 mpg (i just drive a hell of a lot)

·
Registered
397 Posts
ALSO, the taurus gas tank is not real big, 14 gallons I think, so it doesn't take long to empty it. Especially with a V6.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My fiends z71 gets like 10 mpg at best (lifted) and he has a 25 gallon tank but his last like a good week and drives like i do romping on it and accelerating real fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts