Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting very poor gas mileage, about 400KM per tank, 50Litre tank(sorry don't know the conversion to miles) 8km/L. Not too good. My fuel filter & plugs are less than a year old, wires fine, tire pressure good, all the basic tune-up parts good, do regular oil changes (4000km) with synthetic. Can't figure out what the hell's going on. I'm thinking fuel pump, don't want to pay the $ to fix it and not technically inclined enough to do it myself. Any other things it might be? Please help....gas ain't cheap anymore ya know!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is that on the highway, or in the city?

You are getting roughly 19 mpg, which is about average for a car that size. I get roughly 24 mpg with my 98 Sable with a Duratec. On my old 92 Sable (with Vulcan) I got about 20-22 mpg depending on city or highway.

How old is your air filter?What type of gas are you using?

Oh, and to calculate miles per gallon in Canada, you...

(# of Kms * 0.62) / (# of Litres / 3.78)

So for me,

(500 * 0.62) / (45 /3.78) = rougly 24 mpg (I calculate after each fill-up).

Just remember your BEDMAS! :banana:

Ryan

P.S. Gas mileage is completely dependant on how much you use your right foot. Drive easy, save money! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Air Filter is only about 3months old ( I put about 1500km a month on my car) and I changed the air filter at that time to a K&N and it barely improved my mileage to what it is now. I've been doing what you said the last few months(driving like an old lady) and I had improvement, but only to what it is now. I normally use mid-grade, just recently used high-grade for 2 tanks, mechanic said he noticed slight pinging and suggested I run a tank of high-grade. By the way the 400KM I get is in the city, and driving it pretty close to completely empty.
Still seems kinda bad to me.
Thanks for the calculation and suggestions. I do appreciate it, THANKS!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Originally posted by Kuletime@Oct 19 2004, 03:19 PM
I normally use mid-grade, just recently used high-grade for 2 tanks, mechanic said he noticed slight pinging and suggested I run a tank of high-grade.
Try running plain old regular grade fuel...regular has more latent energy, plus it burns quicker. I had an '85 Citation X-11 (stop laughing...it was a good car, actually...got over 221,xxx miles out of it with no major failures) that I always used super in (gas was a lot cheaper then). One day I was low and my favourite Shell station was out of super...I put in just enough regular to get home and found the car actually ran better and got better mileage. After that I always used regular. An engine designed for 87 octane fuel will not run better with 91...if your car is pinging on mid-grade, have your mechanic fix the problem, and I'll bet your mileage improves.

My Dad's '99 Vulcan pings ever so slightly when going uphill on the highway, but it goes away if you step on it a little...the owner's manual says that's OK...it's persistant heavy knocking that's NFG...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please, I had my first car as a hand-me-down. It was 1972 Ford Maverick!!
It actually ran very well, my Old Man did all the work on it himself, except the body which was all rusted out! Could've mistaken me for Fred Flinstone with my feet sticking outta the bottom of the car!!! We parked it out front of the house during it's last winter, nobody touched it for like 3months in -30Celcius weather and had to move it one morning for the street cleaners. STARTED UP ON THE FIRST TRY!!! Not kidding either. Had a lot of fun in that old bucket.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just to be sure, try going to your local Autozone, or whomever else in your neighborhood will hook the scan tool up and check codes for free!

More places than Autozone are willing to do this, it's a great way for them to help sell their parts. Just call and ask 'em if they do it.

Oh yeah, if there are any codes that come up, let us know (we're a curious bunch) or if there are no codes at all, that is information in itself - it means that there is a whole lot that is working right.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
shut up your mileage is bad! i get like 16mpg (vulcan) you should be happy with your mileage, my low gas light turns on at 300km, even before sometimes...and not i dont drive tthhhhhhaaaaaattt fast
anyways maybe your cats are clogged, btw whats your mileage?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
humm me it a 94 v6 3.8 L and i drive mostly city and i do about that 400 k

if i go only highway ill do about 700 and more

so no your mileage is right on the spot and you must live in canada and here the gas is of bad quality if you fill up in the state with regular you will do 500 k in the city and maybe more

and with my 89 v6 3.o L i used to do in the city 450 500 k city and with my 3.8 i do 400 450 k

so youre right on it oh and both my car where catless :p and i use petro canada gaz

you ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Actually, one thing I tried a little while ago is the Lucas fuel system cleaner ($6 at Canadian Tire). I ran that through on a tank and I noticed more 'pick-up' as well as a little more mileage. It cleans all of the schlack (sp?) out of the fuel lines and injectors and gives better atomization of the fuel in the combustion chamber.

You mention synthetic oil, but what viscosity? 5w30? 10w30? The amount of weight on your rotating assembly can also cause more fuel use. Heavier oil, more power needed to turn. Especially in town, where it doesn't get to optimum operating temp all the time.

Final thing. When was the last time you had your tranny fluid checked / changed / filter change? Gooey tranny fluid can cause excess strain on the motor as well.

And always, make sure you have your tires inflated properly. Underinflation can decrease your mileage by 1 or 2 mpg.

Maybe one of these will help?

Ryan

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Hey, you think yours is bad? My SHO got 12 miles to the gallon once!!!! I know it's a V8 but DAMN...my Expedition regularly gets 13-18, so 12 in the car was bbbaaaaaaaad.

Anyway, that was a one time thing. On a regular basis, I get about 24MPG in the car.

-Kyle

·
Registered
48 Posts
My '91 Taurus wagon got 30-33 CDN mpg.* Now I '91 Sable wagon and it only gets 26.* Go figure.

*hwy at 120 Km/hr (~70 mph), 3.0L vulcan

·
Registered
478 Posts
i get about 400km to the tank, on 87 octane(regular unleaded) on my 95 Vulcan, now thats its winter, i usually get about 330 or so.....all city, never exclusively driven it on the highway yet, and i have yet to realy experience if my REBUILT:)( new was $3200 tranny only no labor, rebuilt with labor was only 3020$) tranny, so im hoping that will improve my mileage....400km per tank it fairly good, so dont sweat to much about it

G

·
A couple of other ideas to consider...

Are you running the correct thermostat or a colder one, like running a 160 instead of the 192/193 from the factory. Generally those running 180's shouldn't see a problem but the 160's can hurt mileage.

Possible causes of poor gas mileage: under-inflated tires, engine running too cold, malfunctioning transmission, dirty fuel injectors, or dragging brakes. Bad O2 sensors can send the computer bogus info but you should see a code for that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts