Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! This is my first post, i think, and i need some real advice! I ran my 2004 SE 3.0L Vulcan with a misfire for too long and fried the cats. This car was, according to the mechanic, a California Emission vehicle, so he is telling me i need to buy these cats from the dealer that are upwards of $1200 EACH. I should tell you i dont live in CA, i live in CO, and our emission standards are much lower, but the mechanic is telling me if i put on parts store cats it will throw the whole system out within 6mo. I have the cats disconnected at the moment, trying to leave the car in the driveway. IF ANYONE has any experience with "CA emission" tauruses and changing out the cats, please let me know! thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hello! This is my first post, i think, and i need some real advice! I ran my 2004 SE 3.0L Vulcan with a misfire for too long and fried the cats. This car was, according to the mechanic, a California Emission vehicle, so he is telling me i need to buy these cats from the dealer that are upwards of $1200 EACH. I should tell you i dont live in CA, i live in CO, and our emission standards are much lower, but the mechanic is telling me if i put on parts store cats it will throw the whole system out within 6mo. I have the cats disconnected at the moment, trying to leave the car in the driveway. IF ANYONE has any experience with "CA emission" tauruses and changing out the cats, please let me know! thank you for any advice!
He's taking you for a ride. Here in CA our air pollution board imposed some pretty heavy limits on the amount of emissions allowed from cars meaning a whole new class of catalytic converter needed to be produced to meet those demands.

You see them on the web a lot as "CARB Compliant" cats. Since you're not in CA you can go with a universal cat or non-Carb OEM spec cat.

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
In Cali (and a handfull of other states, mostly in the northeast that have adopted Cali standards), replacement cats must be Cali emissions certified. Cali certified cats are stamped with a CARB (cali air resources board) EO (executive order) number, and in Cali and maybe in other states that have adopted cali standards, and inspector will look for this EO #, and flunk you even if the engine runs clean and fully meets all tailpipe standards. Some aftermarket cat manufacturers have gone thru the trouble and expense to have their cats Cali certified, some have not.

To sum up, any quality cat, even if not Cali certified, will work fine for you in CO, and live a long life. Remember I said QUALITY cat, not one you buy for $49.95.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Yup, pretty much. These ones are know to work perfectly on CA compliant vehicles. Item Details

It has more than double the warranty of the Magnaflow, flows just as well, fits like it should. That doesn't make it much easier to install though. These can be a bear to get in and out. I've worked on a few, they don't give you much room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts