Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i just found this sight & was hoping some of you can help.

I have an '06 Taurus and about a week or so ago my "Check charging system" light came on and went off, it kept doing this every now and then when there was a high electrical load on the system (headlights, radio, A/C, etc.)

Well I got it home and used a voltmeter to check the vots @ the battery and I was lonly getting around 12.4 volts at idle. And whenever i turned on things such as the headlights and A/C that number dropped to around 12.08. I assumed it was the alternator since the battery was replaced in late January of this year.

My dad wanted to be sure so he had sears do a test on the system and they came back saying that the system was perfectely fine. They blamed the light on due to the high temperature it was that day.

Well today the vehicle doesn't stay running at all with a full load on the system, and runs a few minutes (about 5) with no load. The system was around 10 volts at idle today and dropping fast until the car died.

My question is, is my original diagnosis correct that it's the alternator? Is there anything else this could possibly be.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
Could be alternator, battery (year old batt doesnt mean it isnt on its way out), batt cables (corrosion, loose, etc) or a bad major ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the battery was replaced in January of 2010, both battery cables were replaced. I didn't see any grounds that were broken off and the cable running from the Alt. to the battery looks in tact. i'm going to try to replace the alt. and see if that works.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the battery is only reading ~12V with the engine running, check it when the engine is off after it sets for 4 hours. If the voltage is way low say 11-10V then it's the battery.

Your alternator needs changed. A bad alternator will cause a bad battery as it cannot charge it completely and the sulfation begins. How Does Sulfation Drain a Battery?

A bad battery will cause a bad alternator by overworking it trying to maintain the system 14V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts