Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone the otherday my girlfriend went out of state and called me and said the front of the car is smoking a lot. The car was not over heating she saw it coming out of the A/C clutch and a few months ago we noticed we lost cold air in the car and the other day I heard a squeaking noise in the vents and thought something was up. I told her to turn around and just drive the car back it is a 2003 Ford Taurus with 42,000 miles on it and a leaky power steering pump and a few other probs. I started the car just now and I hear a loud squeaking noise and and loud rubbing noise I looked at the A/C clutch and saw the plate clinking around and rubbing. 1st off I am wondering did the A/C pump fail and 2. I should be able to drive it across toen to my mechanic for an estimate with no break downs? I just don't want to be taken on a ride by that mecanic and say we need to have a whole new A/C pump.

Thanks for reading

Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
Sounds to me like the hub bearing has failed, not the compressor itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That makes sense because when you start it up it sounds like a lot of ball bearings moving around and a real loud rubbing noise

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sometimes the clutch will come loose, and rattle on the pully. Even when the A/C is switched on, the clutch can't fully engage and will slip, causing the loss of cold air and a little smoke. The comp is probably still good, but your looking at a new hub and clutch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just hope this shop won't try to insist on just replaing the whole A/C Compresser rather then the hub and clutch. is this usualy an expensive job as far as replacing the clutch?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
No way. The clutch pulley is a 1/4 the cost of the compressor and the AC system does not need to be recharged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wll we heard back from the mechanic and dunno if we are being taken for a eide he says the whole A/C Compresser is seized yet yesterday the pulley spins while the engine is on so I am led to believe it is not seized? and he wants to replace the A/C Compresser and he said the part alone would be $305 Labor we don't know I am still on the fence with things

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the clutch is off the pulley will spin. As soon as the clutch came on it would shred your belt if the compressor was seized.

I would take the clutch off and see if it has a open coil (smoke let out) or bad bearings, wobbling. You could probably turn the compressor too to see if it is actually seized.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the pulley bearing went bad (not the clutch spindle bearing) the compressor would make noise even without the A/C engaged because the serp belt is still riding on the pulley.

A reman compressor is around $170.00 complete. Add to that tax and about 1.2-1.5 in labor and a TOTAL of $305.00 should be a good target. Here in SoKhal the mech's get about $70 an hour.

So...

$170.00 (the Everco's are $169.00 new at autozone)
$105.00 (1.5 HRS at $70.00)
$275.00 Sub-Total
========================
$ 51.00 (30% markup on parts)
$ 45.00 (cost to evacuate the A/C system; or you can do this yourself but, ahhh, I never to you to do that)
$ 50.00 (R134a recharge)
$421.00 Sub-Total
$ 15.00 Tax (est on $170)
$436.00 Total

--OR--

You can replace it yourself in about 2.0 hours (sans lift) and your cost would be about $225.00 with tax and 2 cans of 134.

You can get a used one from a yard as well. Here they are $30.00 and it is rare for them to go out the way yours did. They are a rotary pump internally and generally made to close tolerance. This it might be better (in the end) to just swap the thing. You can test a used one by spinning the clutch and pulley separately. You can get in the weeds and test the clutch action by applying 12 volts to the R7 and R8 connectors on the compressor.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mean she made it from MA to NJ when it happened drove it back like that the belt I.M.O looked fine and even with the temp controls off it was still making a real loud noise but when I turned the car on the pulley would spin with the belt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts