Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. ( Long post sorry)

I did a quick search of the site and didn't quite find and info on the problem I'm having. The backup camera picture is either 1) upside down, 2) None at all with the fault code to call Ford on the screen, or 3) functioning normally. I have a '13 Limited with the Sony System, no nav. Interestingly when the problem started the audio started to go in and out as well. The touch screen functions and it allows me to change from Satellite radio to USB to CD but it does not recognize AM/FM. The phone syncs in but you can not hear the caller, but they can hear you. The voice prompts for sync can not be heard but they will do what action you request. The only thing that does not work is the right hand steering wheel controls and the Entertainment HUD on the right side of the Dash pod. I took to to Ford and they only looked at the camera as the speakers were working at that time. They cleaned the camera connection pins and made sure there were no loose connections and gave it back to me "working fine". About an hour after I got it back, and they closed the camera went out again.

Questions: 1) Anyone had a similar problem? 2) Any ideas on what I can do check?

I have already reset the system, twice, once by the Master Reset in the options and the other by pulling the battery cables over night.
I have a 5 Start Programmer with tunes on it but have not up-linked it to see if it can pull any fault codes. I have been running the Hi-Pro 89 Oct tune for over 2 years without any troubles.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm having the same inverted image problem with my 2013 SEL

Reactions: Sledrunner

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same exact problem here. Started about a month or two ago and the symptoms are intermittent. I've been trying to determine if it's hardware or software by trying to find patterns or links with other actions but no luck yet. I'm going to try to get into the dealer to see if it falls under the extended sync unit warranty/recall. Let me know if you figure anything out and I'll do the same!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I want to follow this thread. I've got something like this going on. At times, it works. Other times, I have a black/white "static" screen. Not sure what's up with it. It started this weekend. This is on a 2011 Limited

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Camera

I know this thread is a bit old, but figure more and more people will be having the issue. I found similar threads other Ford product forums. Seems to be an issue. Also found a similar problem on a Nissan (infinity) forum, but in there case it flips left/right. Gotta love cheap cameras.

Anyhow, I ended up replacing the camera in my '13 Limited. Very easy to do, and I even did it the hard way.

Someone else on this forum had shown how to do it in a 10-12. Well in the 13+, it can be even easier. I did it the hard way (like the 10-12 version), in that I replaced the whole back trim assembly.

Ford wants way too much for the trim piece (almost 300), and camera (almost 400). I bought a used one off ebay, trim + camera, for 120.

Procedure is very easy (and this is the hard way):
1) remove push pins / plastic (use a trim tool, much easier than a screwdriver)
2) remove the pull down handle in the trunk - CAREFUL - the screws go into a bracket inside the trunk (not the handle bracket), that can come loose.
3) remove the trunk liner now
4) remove 2 bolts near the camera/badge from inside
5) unplug camera
6) carefully push the tabs out. You can reach the 2 outside most tabs through the rear light - you do NOT have to remove the brake lights
6a) other tabs, just carefully lift, from both sides of the trim piece
7) Clean up - done! (reverse for install of new trim piece

But, the easier way is to just replace the camera. It is held in by one Torx screw. Still have to remove the trunk liner, but then just torx screw, and pull camera straight out.

Here is the even extra bonus:
The trim+camera, like I said, I found on ebay - used for 120
Now that I have the camera in my hand, and can look at it, I searched for the camera only. and found a bunch of them, new for 60-70. Live and learn I guess.

In my case, the replacement camera seems a bit fuzzy, but barely. It fixed the upside down, and the computer guide lines were there, I did not have to reprogram/calibrate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same problem on My 2011 Limited. Started out working sometimes, then not at all, now works all the time but is upside down. Anybody find a reasonable replacement please let me know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to follow this thread. I've got something like this going on. At times, it works. Other times, I have a black/white "static" screen. Not sure what's up with it. It started this weekend. This is on a 2011 Limited
I also have this problem. I attempted researching it and the only fix I have found is replacing the backup camera. I also have a 2011 Limited

1 - 8 of 8 Posts