Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I've been away for a while but I have recently purchased my fourth Ford Taurus, a 1988 Taurus L. It is strictly a bare-bones model, not even an in-dash clock. 2.5 Liter HSC I4, 3-speed automatic. It currently has 162,XXX miles on it.

Here's the story: I was flipping through the automotive classifieds looking for cheap cars. Naturally, I go to the Ford section first and scan for Tempos or Taurus. I find this ad:

1988 FORD TAURUS Fair condition. Sedan $100. XXX-XXX-XXXX

So I called the guy and found it its a 4cyl (and not even an MT-5), no options but the car has its good points. The body is supposedly in great condition, the interior fair. He advises me that the car does not run. It does, however, come with a new battery, new front tires, and an Alpine CD player. I offer him, sight unseen, $50 for the Taurus. He pauses and says if no one else calls on it, he'll take it. I didnt wait for anyone else to call. I drove down there in my buddies 1994 Ford Thunderbird V8 and handed him a crisp, clean $50.00 bill. He smiled and said "you just bought yourself a Taurus" LOL! I return a little while later with a Dodge Ram and a tow chain. I push the Taurus out of the driveway and turn on the hazzards. Nothing happends. I say something like "so much for a new battery" and the guy says "oh its in there, I just unhooked it" so I pop the hood and notice that ITS IN BACKWARDS. The - is near the + cable, and vice versa. I turn it around and hook them up right. The fuel pump primes and the hazzards start to flash.

Well I towed it home and parked it away from the house, where we usually park the "junk" cars. I planned to remove the front clip and rebuild a wrecked V6 Taurus or something. Well, curiosity got the best of me so I went back down and with just a little tinkering, it STARTS AND RUNS!
Its compleatly out of water so I shut it down quickly. My freind is like "see if it drives" and so I restarted it and put it in reverse. Nothing, it just revs up but no go. I check the trans fluid, BONE DRY. "Oh s***" we both say at the exact same time. I pour in three quarts of ATF and try it again. Each time I start the car it sounds smoother and starts easier. I put it in reverse and it moves! I drove it up to our shop and parked it inside.

That night I took a flight out of Seattle and arrived in Buffalo, NY the next day. I then went to Toronto and picked up my 1994 Kia Sephia and drove it to Georgia to visit my family for the holidays. I cant wait to get back and work on the Taurus!

I know it needs the following:

Power steering rack and pump probably.

Trans leak fixed

new Radiator

one tire

some electrial issues delt with like the head lamps, tail lamps, brake lamps, and dash lamps dont work. Fuses I figure, but there is a problem with the fuse box: the place where these fuses go is stripped out! So I need to get a fuse box for it.

possibly an exhaust manifold (runs kinda loud).

Still, not a bad deal. A car that runs and drives for $50.00 and its a Taurus at that! The paint is a little fadded so I plan to have it repainted blue (its tan with tan interior) with champaign on the bottom, like the LX's tu-tone, only without body cladding.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
wow and I4... that's a rare find. Congratz on the deal. Bring her back to life for us and if you can get a picture of the four banger under the hood that would be cool.

-Dan

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got some pics but since I'm on vacation I dont have access to my scanner! I will post some as soon as I can though.

BTW for those of you wondering, my mom still has her 1997 Mercury Sable GS, and its running perfect with 103,XXX miles on it.

I am probably going to buy her a 2000 or newer Taurus/Sable to replace it, most likely a Taurus. I'm going to buy one at a salvage auction with low miles that needs just a little work and repair it for her. Then trade directly for her Sable. She loves the car but complains because in her mind, once a car reaches 100,000 miles its worthless.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Qwertz, where was the pic of your Sable taken? This is a picture of my Mercury, in the Nevada desert. I love the desert.

·
Registered
486 Posts
talk about dedication. On vacation and still coming on to the site and posting. lol.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've been visiting my parents for a couple of weeks here in Georgia and being broke leaves not much else to do, LOL. I just cant wait to get back and work on the Taurus. I think I'm going to paint it Medium True Blue on the top and Arizona Beige on the bottom (check 2004 Mercury Sable's color chart for colors).

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Reminds me of my buddies old 1986 Tempo. It was a little 4 banger 3 speed but damn, we trashed the hell out of that thing and had such a blast in it.

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Thats a cool story. Good luck with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts