Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this car for a little over a year now, and I first noticed this last winter when we got our first freeze/icy roads, and assumed this is just how this car handles on the ice - the back end literally sways back and forth in a rather jerky manner. The tired were very low on tread as well, so I also attributed the swaying to that. Spring comes along and I don't notice it anymore. Closer to summertime, I get all new tires.

There's a couple stretches of highway near me that have a strange grooved pavement, and when driving on this pavement, in the summer (and winter, even without icy roads) with new tires, I notice the car swaying again!

I will say that I have not taken the car in to get checked out, I only think about it when it's happening. So I figured I'd just check here first and see if anyone else has experienced it and what their outcome was.

Thanks!

·
Registered
495 Posts
From what you describe that is not normal and should be checked out before it causes you to lose control of the car. You said the old tires were worn badly, did you notice if they had uneven wear on inside vs outside? Did you get an alignment done when you got the new tires put on? If not, I would recommend getting it aligned and while they are doing that they can check for anything that might be broken. I wouldn't rule out a sticking brake caliper either. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I would suggest getting it checked out before you get it aligned. Most alignment shops dont usually do a good job of inspecting the rear end when doing an alignment. Get the whole suspension checked, repaired, than the alignment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts