Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Taurus with 145k miles on it. I recently rebuilt the AXODE (metric) because it was having slipping problems and overall a bad transmission. I replaced steel plates, clutch plates, torque converter, pump, front planetary gears (damaged), new solenoids. I also completely removed and cleaned every valve in the valve body. I put Superior AXODE shift correction kit in which consisted of new springs, new check balls and a few holes drilled into the valve body. I triple checked the location of the holes and check balls. I have an ATSG Transaxle overhaul manual (with lots of good technical drawings and diagrams).

Once I got it all back together and went for a test drive, the car would accelerate normally in 1st gear but once it went to shift to 2, the car would shake and rapidly decelerate until it downshifted into 1st. It almost felt like something was locked up. All of the internal components of the transmissions fit together well when I was reassembling it. Manual 1, N, P, R all worked normally and fine. It was just the 1-2 shift that was messed up (could not test 2-3 shift). I'm not sure what the problem is or where it could be messed up.

Any thoughts or tips would be awesome! thanks

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
its been a long time since i looked under the hood of a 93. does this year have the linkage from the trans to the tb? if so is the linkage hooked back up and aligned properly?

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Cable shift

its been a long time since i looked under the hood of a 93. does this year have the linkage from the trans to the tb? if so is the linkage hooked back up and aligned properly?
Maybe, my '90 had a cable to the trans from the throttle. There was a rachet system you released and then pushed the throttle full open and the rachet set the cable length. Do not know when that ended. I had '92 but never messed with that one. I think the Essex trans was different in '92.

-chart-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.