Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know, not another Q about AXOD to AXOD-E question, I have read, I have done my homework, now......

first of all I know that the AXOD's were not electronically controlled, execpt for some pressure switches and the Torque Converter Lockup, and the AXOD-E's were mostly computer controlled,

What we are planning on doing, since the AXOD took a crap on me today, driving 150 mi, (started out with no overdrive, played with shifter between N and (D), got it into overdrive, drove for 60 mi, heard grinding noise in transmission, shifted between OD and D, then stuck in D, drove for another 5 mins, all of a sudden engine revved up, started loosing speed, manually shifted into second, ok to get into neasest town, pulled off highway, got to stop sign, harsh shift into first, and there is shere she sat), is we are planning on grabbing hte brains and wiring harness out of an 91 Taurus/Sable (MAF/Wiring Harness/Computer/Transmission) and swapping it into our 89 Sable (oh yes, the trans was rebuilt 30,000 mi ago).

Now the best question, am I limited to the 91 transmissions or what year can I go up to to get a transmission out of? is it 91-95? or can I go later 96-up?

Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Since your car has the 4-banger, I don't think the V6 tranny will bolt up. Or are we talking about a different car?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Different Car, the car in question is a 89 Mercury Sable 3.0 V6 with a AXOD Trans

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Ok, I'm guessing you'll need the wiring and stuff. But aren't the engine and tranny's computer the same unit? IIRC, the '89 Vulcan is MPFI and the '91-'95 Vulcan are SEFI.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah 86-90 used MPFI and 91-95 used SEFI but the computers are different, they use different internals to determine shift points

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Ok, I would guess the '91-'95 tranny would work. I'm not sure about '96+ though. Maybe a G3'er could chime in. If you got with a '91-'95, I recommed a '95/'94 since the early ones are more prone to failure than the later ones.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what we will be looking for, is an later model G2 if possible

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next question, can a 3.0 and a 3.8l interchange, or are they different?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts