Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello;
I need your advice please. Can I rebuild my own 87 AXOD transmission at home? I have good mechanical skills and do all my own auto repairs that I'm skilled at. However, out of fear of messing up I've never attempted to do any transmission work other then normal service and fluid changes on them. I have a reasonable amount of tools as I have repaired and rebuilt some engines in the past. Can I do this or are there tools needed I most likely wouldn't have? Am I getting in over my head? I have no problem R&R-ing the trans only apprehension of screwing up. Any ideas or suggestions please?
Thnaks

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well its really up to you if you want to do it, it seems to me that you have alot of experience with other things auto related, but an automatic is a whoe nother story. When I was in uti we had an automatic class where we got auto transmissions to rebuild and When we started to take it apart I started to get a headach. Theres are so many different things that have to be done properly and really unless you have experience doing this I would not recommend it, unless you feel that you can but my first time rebuilding an auto was my last time to date. If you feel that you can do it then give it a shot, but make sure you have some readily available info because as I said its a lot of stuff that must go in the same location. As far as tools all I really remember using on my trans was a couple different snap ring pliers and a press for removing a a snap ring that i think was at the piston in the trans(I think this is by memory) Good Luck if you are going to attempt it becasue I felt it was harder to put it back together than it was to take it apart mainly becasue of all the clutches/metal circular rings(dont know the proper name anymore) that must go together in a certain area. ONE BIG HEADACH!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I wouldn't rebuild it yourself, but you can always install it yourself, and save some green$$$$ :banana: Like most FWD cars, you must drop the sub-frame and take it out through the bottom. I would check with transmission rebuilders in your area that offer at least a 2 year warranty on their workmanship, take in your transmission and have them do it. Maybe they'll do an exchange so you don't have to wait :D Check the forum for the nitty-gritty on the job so you know what your in for. Remember to also check the place out on bbb.org for complaints before choosing a rebuilder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts