Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my passenger side axle seal that was leaking at 68,000 miles. I have already replace the driver side one at ~62,000 miles.

I'm curious if this is something that just goes or if it happens at regular intervals, since I have never heard of axle seals failing...

(Note: If you have replaced more then once, just mark the most recent miliage...)

G

·
I did mine on the 91 when I did the clutch, just as a preventative measure. They weren't leaking.

However, I've done some on cars that have had power flushes done on the trans. That seems to be the only common denominator amongst the lower mileage ones I've done.

G

·
How can you tell if this needs done? What happens if you don't do it? Just want to make sure I'm watching for it. Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what to look for. Both times it was in for regular maintainence and they tell me I need axle seals.

Axle seals are filled with transmission fluid, so when they leak, you are losing transmission fluid. Beyond that I am not 100% sure

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had Tranny fluid dripping from around the transmission pan, but after cleaning up the pan area we discovered it was coming from the right side not the pan. Seems that gravity took over and caused the fluid to make it's way towards the pan.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I haven't had to do the axle seals, but I replaced the whole pass. side axle half, instead of spending twice the time fixing the boot... actually, I need to grab a grease gun and steal a screw-tight clamp from work, and reseal the inside driver cv boot... I popped the clamp somehow...

Mind you, when I hit that ditch last year, I tore my tranny cooler lines, and the mechanic decided to patch in with a piece of 1/4" i.d. rubber hose and screw-tight clamps... and I seem to be leaking slightly... :angry:

Another reason to never give that mechanic my money again.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Axle seals don't actually hold fluid, they just prevent the tranny fluid from leaking out around the axle shaft. And yes, they wear out, altho the timeframe depends on the conditions the car is driven in/under. Keep in mind that the seal is made of rubber, and has that axle shaft spinning inside of it whenever the car is moving. It's going to wear out eventually. I've changed many, and if you have the right tools, it's not a bad job. As for the question about how you know if they're leaking, you'll see the sides of the tranny around the seals wet, and if they are leaking bad enough, drips will be hanging off the tranny from underneath the axle areas. No, you don't HAVE to replace them, but if you don't, be prepared to check your tranny fluid and top it up regularly, or you'll fry it, just like any other lubricated part that runs out of lubricant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts