Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1996 Mercury Sable front axle nut. I have read that the size is 30mm but the socket that I rented (30mm in a set) is slighty bigger than the nut - almost fells like the nut is 29mm... or some other SAE size (1-1/8")?
What is the actual size for that nut?

LE: I had bought ($15, didn't have a rental) a 29mm socket and it fits... hmmm.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Nut =30m

1996 Mercury Sable front axle nut. I have read that the size is 30mm but the socket that I rented (30mm in a set) is slighty bigger than the nut - almost fells like the nut is 29mm... or some other SAE size (1-1/8")?
What is the actual size for that nut?

LE: I had bought ($15, didn't have a rental) a 29mm socket and it fits... hmmm.
I measured an old nut and it was 29.51 mm. I have a 30mm 6 point that I have used. Of course the socket will have some clearnace, and the larger the nut the more clearnance. Everything on the Taurus should be metric.

Ford had a time with metrification. In the '83-86 LTD series with Essex, they used metric heads on most bolts, but with SAE threads in some parts. If you loose one and replace it it is good to know. I did that on the long bolts that hold the fan and spacer to the water pump. So then it had 3 metric heads, and one 9/16" head. :p

Good luck with your project.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered two replacement nuts - they will be at the strore at 5PM. Supposedly those are single-use. I am curious if they are the same, I did found on-line mentions of 30mm hex size...
Bad thing is that I discovered that the inner joint of the CV axle is moving some 1/2" (up-down) pushed with the hand. I don't think is right... Looks like I will need to replace that too.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My passenger side axle shaft will move about 3/8" at the trans. I replaced it and the new Cardon axle moves the same amount.
I replaced the LCA,shocks, tires, and alignment at the same time, so i don't know what fixed my vibration.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new nuts where labeled "29mm hex / M20-1.5" but they won't fit in the 29mm axle socket that I bought, so I tighten them with 30mm from loaner.

I kind of give up on tracking that noise. I replaced the brakes, rotors and stablilizer arms on front so that give me alreay a better "feel" on front.

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,074 Posts
This person got their answer two years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts