Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently replaced both axles on my Taurus, and I am confused to R&R procedures that I have read. In replacing the right side, instructions tell you that if you remove the half shaft you must replace the circ clip on the removed shaft, although if you replace with a new shaft there is generally a new circ clip on the new axle, which is pretty straight forward. but, my Alldata instructions state (Right Side Only). Which leads me to the left side. Since the clip is not on the axle, I think the clip is on the end of the stub shaft, common sense tells me that this clip needs to be replaced also? When those instructions tell me, (Right side only) does that mean that the clip only gets replaced on the right side, and not the left? I think the wording may be confusing me a bit, slow on the uptake I guess! Lol I understand that these clips when axles are removed supposedly lose there holding ability. The first time I replaced my left side axle, (3 years ago) I didn't replace that clip, and maybe I just got lucky? When I had to remove that axle this time, I ended up buying a puller cause i couldn't pry that left side loose to save my life. After 9 sutures in my hand, trying to pry that shaft out, and hours of spinning my wheels, the puller popped the shaft out in 5 minutes. It was weird that the old clip had that shaft in there that good? Thought maybe rust got in there, but it was clean. I just couldn't see how to get that clip off of the left side stub shaft, thus I left it. Anyways, I guess maybe the simpler thing to ask, have others just replaced the shaft without replacing the clip on the left side without any issues? Thanks Tom

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
hi,

I've removed them and put new clips. once you do it it gets easier next time.

btw, I use the ford spec tool to separate the shafts from the transmission,
it looks like a large pickle fork with curved prongs, (not the ball joint tool)
and it pops the joint out using leverage in less then 10 seconds.

regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts