Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wondering what my '99 Taurus would have... the AX4N or S? My uncle works for Ford, and he claims that over 70% of the 98/99 models have the AX4N as they were more plentiful at the time. Is this true?

BTW, it has a Vulcan.

May as well as this... if it DOES have a 4S, can the 4N be swapped in if/when the 4S fails?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think if you look under the car, the tranny oil pan is stamped with the AX4N or S designation. I have the AX4N and its stamped in large bold letters. Shouldn't be difficult to see...

I have no idea if they are interchangeable.

I have a 2000 SE-S with the Duratec

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
The AX4N is the more reliable of the two. They came mainly on Duratec equipped cars and I believe some of the Gen 4's got them with Vulcans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Believe me, I'm well aware of the 4S's problems. I asked this mainly because my neighbor had a '99 dead strippo Taurus with the Vulcan, and it had a AX4N.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I think if you look under the car, the tranny oil pan is stamped with the AX4N or S designation. I have the AX4N and its stamped in large bold letters. Shouldn't be difficult to see...

I have no idea if they are interchangeable.

I have a 2000 SE-S with the Duratec
Also some pans are stamped AXOD METRIC if they are the AX4S.

AX4N always says AX4N METIC

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Another way to tell is count the number of bolts on the pan. A4XN has 19, while A4XS/AXODE/AXOD all have 17.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The AXODs are AXODs. Officially according to Ford, the AXOD was discontinued prior to Gen3, but I have seen the AXOD on the Gen3 as late as 1999, and they are different from the AX4S.

Most do have the AX4N, but you really do need to check to see which one you have.

·
Registered
115 Posts
2007 SEL Transmission type

I looked on the door jamb and saw the label but do not see anything showing the id for the transmission code. I guess I will also have to pull it up on ramps and take a look underneath. Any idea what most 2007 Taurus SEL's would have?

SUP

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Iirc, tranny code should be @ bottom right of label and be under the letters TR to the right of the paint code unless theyve changed the label info over the years. Also, is the ax4n now named 450fn or 650fn?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
my 2001 taurus

has a AX4s transmision. It stopped working a couple days ago. the girlfriend took off out of a gas station and suddenly had no forward movement. Doesnt go into reverse at all either. I read that the splines inside the torque converter strip. Is this a common thing to happen or are the vanes on the pump to blame?

·
Registered
276 Posts
has a AX4s transmision. It stopped working a couple days ago. the girlfriend took off out of a gas station and suddenly had no forward movement. Doesnt go into reverse at all either. I read that the splines inside the torque converter strip. Is this a common thing to happen or are the vanes on the pump to blame?
It could be a million things, ranging from the torque converter to the solenoid to the actuator to the trans range sensor to the splines.. Best to get it diagnosed professionally if you're not transmission-proficient.

What year bull/how many miles/have you ever changed the trans fluid and filter?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If the trans fluid level does not change when the engine is started the pump is not working. Most likely the shaft or drive plate splines in the TC are stripped.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know about the '98-'99 model years, but the '96-'97 years, usually the LX and SHO models had the AX4N, the SHO's might've had a different gear config because of the V8 powerplant...G's and GL's would usually have the AX4S, with the exception of a dealer-type "GL Sport" package (available on Vulcan-engined models only - don't know what the number or letter code was) which emphasized the 4N tranny, plus threw in the 5-spoke alloy GL wheels and a black dashboard instead of the usual color-keyed one...I have this type...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts