Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
It's hard to believe the folks at Ford didn't figure this stuff out during the design phase ... prior to production.
It's almost like they set it to fail so you'll buy another one. However, If the reputation for quality is not there, you will probably buy from another manufacturer...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
It's almost like they set it to fail so you'll buy another one. However, If the reputation for quality is not there, you will probably buy from another manufacturer...
That's the way I see it as well.

What frustrates me most is that my 1-2 shift is still harsh from time to time. I've replaced the VSS, the TPS, and have cleaned the MAF sensor. I've also performed the DIY full flush and replaced to full capacity with Castrol Mercon V.

At this point, I'm beginning to wonder if it's all worth it.

The car was a gift, so from a financial perspective my overall investment is still very low. It sure beats having a car payment.

If it wasn't for the tranny worries, I am convinced that the Taurus could ultimately become a reliable daily driver.

One more thing that's come up lately is the Camshaft Position Synchronizer ... the old "Vulcan chirp" has become noticeable a couple of times over the last few hundred miles.

Do you know if a worn CPS can influence shift behavior???

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I don't think so. It sets the timing of the fuel injectors. I would replace it before it fails and toasts the engine though.
I hope to get the Cam Synchro finished this weekend.

Are there any special tools I'll need to complete the transmission mod/rebuild?

From what you wrote in the rebuild thread it appears you improvised through most of it ... and at one point, you needed a pair of Snapring Pliers, I think.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I hope to get the Cam Synchro finished this weekend.

Are there any special tools I'll need to complete the transmission mod/rebuild?

From what you wrote in the rebuild thread it appears you improvised through most of it ... and at one point, you needed a pair of Snapring Pliers, I think.
I posted pictures of any 'special' tools I improvised. Get the flat tipped snapring pliers for the piston retainers. You might want to consider getting the piston spring compressor. Also, get a copy of the Factory Service Manuals( A&B ) from e-bay. They are excellent. Also, read the thread titled 'How I rebuilt an AX4N' It was helpful for me. Good luck!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts