Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Taurus Vulcan AX4S

I pulled my car up on the ramps today to do the tranny flush described here on the forum.

Right away, I noticed tranny fluid slowly dripping along the edge of the tranny housing, right next to the oil pan.

There is a flexible aluminum plate mounted to the tranny housing. As I gently moved it from the housing with my fingernail, the tranny fluid drip rate increased dramatically.

Is this the flex plate leaking?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
2000 Taurus Vulcan AX4S

I pulled my car up on the ramps today to do the tranny flush described here on the forum.

Right away, I noticed tranny fluid slowly dripping along the edge of the tranny housing, right next to the oil pan.

There is a flexible aluminum plate mounted to the tranny housing. As I gently moved it from the housing with my fingernail, the tranny fluid drip rate increased dramatically.

Is this the flex plate leaking?
Could be a worn stator bearing causing the Torque Converter seal to leak. On mine it would leak at a high rate when the fluid was hot, and would not leak a drop when cool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Could be a worn stator bearing causing the Torque Converter seal to leak. On mine it would leak at a high rate when the fluid was hot, and would not leak a drop when cool.
That's exactly what is happening I believe.

I performed the tranny flush as described here on the forum .. replaced about 13 quarts.

After the fluid got hot on the test drive, the leak got MUCH worse.

When I parked the car and let it cool, I noticed the leak subside.

egiroux ... I just read your thread on the AX4S rebuild.

Looks like I've got my hands full.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
get the torque converter replaced , that might solve ur issue.
The bearing costs about $1.00. Unfortunately, getting to it is an undertaking. I decided it did not make sense to do all of that work and leave the tranny alone when it is common to fail at 100K.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bearing costs about $1.00. Unfortunately, getting to it is an undertaking. I decided it did not make sense to do all of that work and leave the tranny alone when it is common to fail at 100K.

Makes sense to me.

How's your transmission holding up since the rebuild?

Do you still get the rough 1-2 shift every once in a while or has the rebuild completely changed everything?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
get the torque converter replaced , that might solve ur issue.
I think you're right ... might as well check the TC while I'm in there.

TC shudder is a problem every morning .. until the fluid warms up.

I wonder if the shift kit and rebuild will cure the cold fluid shudder as well.

???

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Makes sense to me.

How's your transmission holding up since the rebuild?

Do you still get the rough 1-2 shift every once in a while or has the rebuild completely changed everything?
It has no issues. Shifts like a transmission should-nice and crisp. No regrets on the rebuild, but it took a great deal of time to get it right-lots of little parts to replace. I would definitely get a rebuilt converter with the improved spline plate, and a new pump shaft as these are common failures.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has no issues. Shifts like a transmission should-nice and crisp. No regrets on the rebuild, but it took a great deal of time to get it right-lots of little parts to replace. I would definitely get a rebuilt converter with the improved spline plate, and a new pump shaft as these are common failures.
Thanks for the extra advice on rebuilt converter spline plate and pump shaft.

My biggest hurdle right now is the fact that I don't have a 2nd car to use for any extended period of time.

How long did the rebuild take you?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thanks for the extra advice on rebuilt converter spline plate and pump shaft.

My biggest hurdle right now is the fact that I don't have a 2nd car to use for any extended period of time.

How long did the rebuild take you?
The the car was out of service from 6/13 to 7/26 last year. I started research and purchasing in April. There are 2 threads about the job:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/156628-transmission-fluid-leak.html

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-maintenance-repair/156770-if-has-come-out.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thank you.

Just curious .. do you still get the occasional TC shudder in the morning before the tranny fluid warms up ???
No. I didn't have that before, and don't have it after the rebuild. The shifts were significantly improved after the job though. I found the main pressure regulator worn, and the rubber o-rings soft. Between this and the upgrades, I believe the pressures are back to where they should be(or a little better than stock)-resulting in proper shifts. Just my theory, but results are what count and the results are very good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. I didn't have that before, and don't have it after the rebuild. The shifts were significantly improved after the job though. I found the main pressure regulator worn, and the rubber o-rings soft. Between this and the upgrades, I believe the pressures are back to where they should be(or a little better than stock)-resulting in proper shifts. Just my theory, but results are what count and the results are very good.

I agree.

Thanks for the info and for the incredibly detailed thread of the rebuild at the links provided.

About how many miles would you say you've put on the tranny since the rebuild?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it has about 2500 on it since the rebuild. It's buried in snow right now so I can't check.
Yeah, I heard you guys were snowed in up there.

Do you know what causes the harsh 1-2 shift and the TC shudder in the AX4S and how the rebuild improves upon this ???

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Yeah, I heard you guys were snowed in up there.

Do you know what causes the harsh 1-2 shift and the TC shudder in the AX4S and how the rebuild improves upon this ???
I did not try to figure out how the reprogramming kits affect the shifts. I installed the Superior and Transgo kits. The only thing I did was to make sure that none of the modifications overlap. I went through the hydraulic diagrams for the circuits modified by both kits. In this application there was no overlap. The only redundant part was the main regulator. One of them had an extra O-ring to stop leaks at the end of the valve(I chose that one). All in all I would say about 1/4 of the valves are modified in one way or another. The accumulators are also recalibrated to affect shift quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did not try to figure out how the reprogramming kits affect the shifts. I installed the Superior and Transgo kits. The only thing I did was to make sure that none of the modifications overlap. I went through the hydraulic diagrams for the circuits modified by both kits. In this application there was no overlap. The only redundant part was the main regulator. One of them had an extra O-ring to stop leaks at the end of the valve(I chose that one). All in all I would say about 1/4 of the valves are modified in one way or another. The accumulators are also recalibrated to affect shift quality.
It's hard to believe the folks at Ford didn't figure this stuff out during the design phase ... prior to production.

Thanks for sharing what you've learned.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts