Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all guy, Thanks! for all of the awesome info on this site! I have learned so much by reading and listening to all of your tech advice.

I have a '98 Taurus Vulcan 3.0 with a BAD AX4N. Available to me is a Cheap! salvaged '98 Taurus Vulcan 3.0 with good AX4S. I am getting mixed advice from Ford tech friend and local trans. shop and am in need of assistance.

What will need to be done to make a AX4S fit in a AX4N Taurus of the same year (1998) and same motor (Vulcan)???

I am aware that that the AX4N is a superior transmission is superior and I am, in essence, downgrading transmission, but can't pass up this deal to get me shifting again.

Thank you in advance for giving me some clear advice on the feasibility of this swap!

USCDaniel

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
:welcome: to the site B) If you are going to swap in a different transmission, at minimum you would need the PCM from the donor car along with the transmission. You may also need to verify the engine build date and possibly swap other components from one engine to the other as well (changes were made at some point to the 98 Vulcan).

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Thanks, Bull. I am also in Columbia (Lexington). ...and I agree, Go Cocks!
[/b]
Oh cool B) Keep us posted on your progress with the swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since there may be some changes in the '98 Vulcan that may affect my swap, would you all recommend an entire engine/trans swap (with PCM) or should I stick with just interchanging tranny for tranny? ...is the engine/tran swap an easier, harder or same job as the tranny only?

...and besides the PCM, are there any other specific components that I need to swap/ replace when putting a '98 AX4S in a '98 AX4N body? FYI: My local transmission dealer stated that the bolt patterns are the same, but I would run into electrical problems due to different line connectors, shifting order of solenoid, EPC and completely different VSS. Will changing out the PCM correct all of the above or is he missing something?

Again, thanks in advance for your assistance!

USCDaniel

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
One person that comes to mind, gohim, has converted his AX4S car to an AX4N (backwards from what you are intending to do). From this thread:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45531

Here is the search I did click. Maybe some of this threads can shed some light, or some others on here have ideas...this stuff is over my head.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
my old 97 had an ax4n that went bad so my dad put an ax4s in it it was plug and play for that year with a new computer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my old 97 had an ax4n that went bad so my dad put an ax4s in it it was plug and play for that year with a new computer
[/b]
Thanks for your response. I think that is what I am gonna try. switch the transmission and the cpu and see what happens. This should take awhile, but I'll keep you all updated.

If anyone else has any advice that they wold like to add, feel free!

Again, thanks for letting me view the old posts... this site has some GREAT INFO AND TECH ADVICE.

USCDaniel

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
My car just hit 150k miles on the original AX4s, and I have been thinking about what I want to do when the transmission gives out. It is convenient that this thread pooped up B) I was hoping that I could just try to find a GenIV AX4n tranny and replace the computer with a AX4n-car's computer. I tried searching several things without luck...this is a good start. Thank you :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts