Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 lx duratec. This is 2nd trans. Reman put in at 57k. Now at 98k, torque converter and front hub seal needs to be replaced. Dealer said it is 5k out of warranty. $1250. Wrote a letter to Ford trying to get them to pay for it. It worked first time around when they came up with $1500 credit on the repair. Hope it works again. Probably take it to Aamco for the repair. Car is still in excellent shape, ac blows cold, no major leaks, excellent paint and interior, great stereo. Too bad I'm going to have to drive it into the reservoir. Sorry. Just griping.

·
Registered
114 Posts
that sucks. Looks like you are gonna have to take the home course in do it yourself transmissions. If you cant get your warranty to do it, which you might be able to, ford is sometimes generous when it comes to a couple thousand miles. but if you cant you can save about 800 to 1000 bucks doing it yourself. They are both major repairs but a whole lot less complicated than they originally seem. Buy yourself a haynes repair manual. It explains how to disconnect your trani and how to get your seals out. From my recent experience in my 97 sable, the chilton manual sucks and mostly just tells you to go to a shop to have stuff done. You can most likely find a good torque converter at a salvage yard. Good luck, and remember if you want to do it yourself there are a lot of people here who can help you out. And if you do drive it into a resevoir, just for fun see if you can waterproof the cabin of the car, if you are gonna total the car might as well have some fun and see if you can make it float first. Maybe you can get a couple of guys to join you in their VW bugs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, kind of sucks all right. Car's been through about as many sets of tires as transmissions. That's not right. I sent a letter to Ford, but I'm not hopeful. I'm not really a car diy'er so I'll have to make a decision here soon. I think I'll end up taking it to Aamco for a second opinion. I'm over a barrel as the car is now long paid for, our second car and out to pasture. My wife drives it only about 3000 miles a year now. Ugh. Thanks for the idea about seeing if it is airtight.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I'd drive it off a cliff, if I were you...or blow it up with a machine gun...whichever's funnier!

I am sorry about the torque converter and stuff...Hope you can get through to Ford!

JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts