Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Just wondering if anyone could help me with repairing an AX4N on my 03 Taurus. First, the car showed no signs of problems and all of the sudden gave out one day... No forward/reverse.

I've combed the forums and read powertoolman's "how I repaired..." thread; got the courage up and popped the valve body out.

At first I saw nothing out the ordinary until I turned the pump shaft and felt it spinning freely in the torque converter. I dropped the tranny and sure enough the torque converter splines are stripped. The shaft shows no damage at all, the pan had no metal pieces in it (just fine fillings), no pieces in the valve body. So, I'm wondering if I should just throw a new torque converter in and slap it back together or if there is probably other damage or if I need to pull the valve body apart in case it has metal pieces.

Anyone have any advice/opinions on what else if anything I need to do other than replace the converter?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same problem with my 05. I put a new ford oil pump shaft in for good luck. Transmission has been perfect for 40k miles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts