Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Symptoms,

1,2nd gear shift with a violent thud, 3rd and OD intermittently drop in and out of gear for no reason what so ever, and an occasional speedo bounce. the column shifter is all sorts of messed up. i have to count to put the car into gear because the trs is very very off. n=park d= n

so anyways i replaced the VSS, a nightmare in itself, the sensor broke off in the transmission so i had to drop the exhaust which had metric and Standard bolts one with a lock nut on it, very ghetto. impacted the lip of the broken VSS out of the trans and installed a new one, put the exhaust back on and reset the computer, drove fine for a good 20 or 30 miles then the same problem started again Very hesitant to shift out of first, and when it finaly does around 4 or 5k rpm with a loud thud, second to third to od jump out of gear randomly

im pretty sure its nothing short of a full transmission job, but im going to swap the TRS out for one i pull at a junk yard.

any suggestions? or could it be a bad solenoid?

the tranny fluid is new and the pump appears to be working, so i guess the TRS, since the column shifter is all messed up.

some one said on here the a bad cps and syncro shaft could also cause similar symptoms.

i figured id let you guys chim in and enlighten me.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This'll make you feel better

AX4N hand rebuilt by Transmission Man @ Local Dealer (@60K Miles)
[Still had Wanky 1-2 upshift and flares].
He then replaced the VSS and everything O.K. for 66K miles since.

[Although,the Magnet in the Pan had about a "Film Container's" worth 1 1/2 oz. of Grey dust attached to it @ the 126K Fluid/Filter Change.]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AX4N hand rebuilt by Transmission Man @ Local Dealer (@60K Miles)
[Still had Wanky 1-2 upshift and flares].
He then replaced the VSS and everything O.K. for 66K miles since.

[Although,the Magnet in the Pan had about a "Film Container's" worth 1 1/2 oz. of Grey dust attached to it @ the 126K Fluid/Filter Change.]

So you just did the vss?
The car I'm working on has the shift linkage off by a ton. I don't think this will solve the inevitable transmission rebuild that needs to be done, but its worth a shot seeing how I can obtain the part for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well,No

He (The Ford Tranny Man) dis-assembled and rebuilt the Whole Tranny,with
updates.
THEN when the Tranny was still Wanky he installed Another New VSS.
AND problem fixed so far.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
^^^^^ While I dont know all the details, it sounds like the tranny was rebuilt for no reason and the VSS was the problem all along?? If that is true, I would be complaining loud and long to the person / dealer who cost you BIG $$ for a rebuild for no reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts