Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone knows if I can remove the valve body cover without having to pull the trans out. I know the transmission mount and the metal brace need to come out, but I'm not sure of theres enough clearance between the chassis and the trans to clear the pan for removal.

Anybody have experiance with this in the past? I'm looking to hone in on a problem that looks to be the EPC solonoid. Link to that discussion is here:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...mp;#entry808142

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
239 Posts
QUOTE (gbriceno @ May 31 2010, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=808145
Looking to see if anyone knows if I can remove the valve body cover without having to pull the trans out. I know the transmission mount and the metal brace need to come out, but I'm not sure of theres enough clearance between the chassis and the trans to clear the pan for removal.[/b]

As far as I remember, I was able to change out my broken pump shaft without removing the trans from the car. With the side mount out, you have to let the rear of the engine hang down, then you will have enough room to maneuver the pan out and then you can remove the valve body from there as well.
It's never fun to do trans work on these cars, but at least you can work on the valve body this way.
My memory, though, is a bit fuzzy. It was probably 3 or even 4 years ago that I replaced the pump shaft.
IMHO, if you're going this far, I would highly recommend installing a shift kit while you have everything apart. These transmissions are known to be weak, so it's the best time to do something about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the very detailed information. I was able to remove the engine cross bar and side trans mount yesterday and after some finagling with the height of the trans using my jack I was able to get it off. I had my moments when I thought it was a lost cause, but I eventually got it out. I'm wondering how its going to be when it goes back in.

I'm hoping to track down the problem from here. I think the EPC valve might be bad since the pressure readings are way high on the EPC port and very low on the line port.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I believe the EPC provides a control pressure to other valves in the body. If these stick, it could cause similar problems. I have the AX4S transmission manuals from Ford. The EPC is just a solenoid coil and a sliding hydraulic diverter valve with spring return. Not much to go wrong. A little crud could jam it up though. I'm not sure if the AX4N is the same.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I realize that I'm reviving a dead thread here, but I have a question for those who have done this procedure. Can the valve body be removed and installed without lowering the sub frame at all? I'm looking at a bad EPC solenoid in my 4f50n as well and lowering the sub-frame is not a possibility (long story).

·
Registered
38 Posts
2005 Taurus SE Vulcan with AX4N: I removed everything above the side cover. Removed the tire and wheel skirt. Loosened the battery box support, and lastly had to remove the master cylinder(probably could have pulled the battery box support but the master cylinder was easier. Note: plug the holes with something rubber as to not lose the master cylinder prime.).. Removed the transmission mount in 2 pieces ( the only way possible). A lot of up and down jacking to get to all the cover bolts out. Jacked from the supported transmission pan slipping the 1st ear of the transmission above the battery box support (not too far you'll bust the line beneath). Pulled the cover out the top with a little manipulation. Replaced all 3 shift solenoids. Depress the tab and turn the solenoids "counter clock wise" for removal. I actually gently pried up the on the tab with a screw driver on 2 of them to bend them out. They wouldn't budge otherwise. The new ones are replaced in reverse other than they just easily click into place turning clockwise. Put it all back together and the transmission is fixed. Even 2nd to third is smoother. The solenoids looked pretty burned. The only odd thing was the A or 1 solenoid mounter up side down to the rest (the only way it would go in). This took several days of hit and miss trying to find info on this site. Some I finally found on youtube. Good luck I hope this helps someone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts