Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference in years between the 96 and the 98 ax4n trans? is it something i can change or am i stuck searching for the 98 or newer?
i found a 96 but am reluctant to buy until i know whats the difference....mine is the oddball one that has the starter bolted on the side-not the type that slides in.
i have a 99 taurus 3.0 24valve duratech (dohc)
can i change the soleniods whats up ----anyone.....

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
The '96-'97 has a different TCC solenoid. The newer trannys would have the updates in them that Ford did along the way.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've got an AX4N with 112K miles from my 98' Sable that in great shape for sale. It's already pulled from the car, just needs to be separated from the engine and shipped.

Let me know if you're interested.

JR

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Duratec AX4N final drive changed from 3.77 to 3.98 in the 98+ transmissions.

Vulcan AX4N final drive is 3.77 regardless of year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
what is the difference in years between the 96 and the 98 ax4n trans? Is it something i can change or am i stuck searching for the 98 or newer?
I found a 96 but am reluctant to buy until i know whats the difference....mine is the oddball one that has the starter bolted on the side-not the type that slides in.
I have a 99 taurus 3.0 24valve duratech (dohc)
can i change the soleniods whats up ----anyone.....
i wanted to change out my bad transmission in my 1999 taurus. With out knowing any better i purchased a transmission out of a 2001 only to find out that the electric plugs don't match so i won't be able to use the 2001 transmission. After a little research it would appear that i must have an exact year for replacement. So i will have to sell the 2001 and look for a 1999 automatic transmission.

·
Registered
100 Posts
there is diffrenece btw 96-97 valve body casting (2-bolt casting) and 98-99 casting (3-bolt casting), so differs the separator plate and pump case. So be attentive if you buy valve body at ebay or car shops. SHO AX4N's separator plate also differs a little bit from non-SHO, also pay attention to it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
2 bolt vs 3 bolt VB

The 3 bolt VB was introduced in '98, with a modified pump and separator plate as mentioned. The valve body casting is RF-F8DP-7092-BA.
Note the slight change in pump part # (italic)
98-99's use casting is RF-F8DP-7B324-AA.
95-97's use casting RF-F4DP-7B324-AB.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
So a 96-97 Duratec ax4n should work for a 96-97 Vulcan or are there other diferences?
Tec to Vulcan will NOT swap. bell-housing is different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
11 Participants
SoNic67
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing