Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 97 wagon and replaced the trans. the pan on the old one said ax4n metric, the one from yhe junkyard says ax4n sho. the car is drivable now, but it shifts really firm. is there any way to make it shift smoother?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Not really, short of changing it (or major valve body work) again. Be glad you have the best Taurus automatic transmission available, an SHO AX4N. Firm shifts rock!

·
Registered
54 Posts
this leads me to a question, what upgrades are available for the ax4n transaxle? i dont have a taurus yet, but i am planning on purchasing one fairly soon, most likely a gen four model.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
An aftermarket shift/rebuild kit is about all there is. A custom flashed PCM is also available (SCT tuned chip.). And of course, aftermarket HD coolers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
An aftermarket shift/rebuild kit is about all there is. A custom flashed PCM is also available (SCT tuned chip.). And of course, aftermarket HD coolers.
any recommendations on who makes a good shift kit for the ax4n?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Trans-go makes one but it's far more involved than reworking the valve body. To do a proper job of it, the entire trans has to be disassembled.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
^+1 on TransGo. It is a complete rebuild mod, beefier everything. Not cheap. It'll shift even firmer than what you have now Sean, Rbohm, you would like it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
^+1 on TransGo. It is a complete rebuild mod, beefier everything. Not cheap. It'll shift even firmer than what you have now Sean, Rbohm, you would like it...
anything that increases durability is good for me.:D:D i have used transgo products in a variety of cars, including race cars in the past. thanks for the recommendation. i was surprised to see that lentech automatics doesnt have anything for the ax4n transaxle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts