Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My transmission will be coming in sometime next week and I would like to know if the steel part that changes gears can replace the aluminum one in the "S". Forgive me for not knowing what the part is called.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You mean the 1-2 accumulator piston? As in, an internal part? If so you don't need one from the 4N, they are available for the 4S as well. Rudy has done an intensive teardown and rebuild on a 4S (well, axod-e, same thing though). You might try asking him for the help you need.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
You'll have to tear down most of the trans in order to replace that thing. As long as you pay real close attention, you should be able to do it. Get an ATSG book, or Ford CD!!!!! Read, re-read, and read again. And did I mention to read? :p

I did quite a bit more to my trans. Being this is the first FWD unit I've built, I hope it lasts. I built a TH350 with a trans-go competition shift kit and a manual valve body conversion back in 89 and it lasted a good four years till I traded the car in.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm taking my car to get it done. The last time I worked on a front wheel drive was a few years back and me and my dad put a 3.0 v6 5spd into a dodge shadow es convertible. I'll never work on a fwd again, as far as under the hood. It's a pain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts